Converting or UN-converting downloading documents. RRS feed

• Question

• Why are my hotmail Microsoft Word downloads being converted to Word Perfect (yet still unsuccessful to open the document) ?  How can I turn this feature OFF ?
    • Moved by Carey FrischMVP Thursday, January 26, 2012 7:25 PM Moved to more appropriate forum category (From:Windows Vista Setup)
    Tuesday, January 24, 2012 3:36 PM

Answers

• Based on your description, my guess is that WordPerfect has been set as the default application for Word files. Running Word with the /r switch should rectify the problem. Exit Word, and then do the following: Hold the Windows logo key as you press R; in the Run dialog box, type winword /r and press Enter. Now try double-clicking Word files. If it still doesn’t work, take a look at http://www.gmayor.com/document_not_found.htm.

Stefan Blom, Microsoft Word MVP
    Thursday, January 26, 2012 7:30 PM

All replies

• Based on your description, my guess is that WordPerfect has been set as the default application for Word files. Running Word with the /r switch should rectify the problem. Exit Word, and then do the following: Hold the Windows logo key as you press R; in the Run dialog box, type winword /r and press Enter. Now try double-clicking Word files. If it still doesn’t work, take a look at http://www.gmayor.com/document_not_found.htm.

Thursday, January 26, 2012 7:30 PM
  • Didn't work and the link didn't help me either.  Any "other" suggestions ?

Keith R. O'Neal

Wednesday, February 8, 2012 3:30 AM
  • "1htiek" wrote in message news:1a385bbb-c407-485c-aa46-654f98b75f62@communitybridge.codeplex.com...
    Didn't work and the link didn't help me either.  Any "other" suggestions ?  

Are you saying that the file name extension actually changes to whatever WordPerfect uses?

Can you open the files from within Word (if you start the application first)?

Wednesday, February 8, 2012 12:16 PM
  • Dear Stefan,

Thanks for your concern and offer to help.  To answer your 2 questions: "Yes and No".  Example:  If a company I am doing business with sends me a typed document such as a 1 or 2 page "contract" in PDF format, when I click on the attachment to open it, a gray pop-up box appears informing me that a "Conversion" process is being done to convert the PDF document to a Word Perfect (Corel) document format.  I suspect I unknowingly turned something on to cause this but can't recall how or what and I obviously do not know how to turn it off.

And I assume when you ask about "Word", you are speaking of Microsoft Word, right ?  None of any attachments I receive opens in Microsoft Word.

Any new advise ?

Gratefully yours,

Keith R. O'Neal

Keith R. O'Neal

Wednesday, February 8, 2012 1:55 PM
  • Dear Stefan,

Thanks for your concern and offer to help.  To answer your 2 questions: "Yes and No".  Example:  If a company I am doing business with sends me a typed document such as a 1 or 2 page "contract" in PDF format, when I click on the attachment to open it, a gray pop-up box appears informing me that a "Conversion" process is being done to convert the PDF document to a Word Perfect (Corel) document format.  I suspect I unknowingly turned something on to cause this but can't recall how or what and I obviously do not know how to turn it off.

And I assume when you ask about "Word", you are speaking of Microsoft Word, right ?  None of any attachments I receive opens in Microsoft Word.

Any new advise ?

Gratefully yours,

Keith R. O'Neal

Keith R. O'Neal

If you save the PDF to your hard disk and then try opening it from there, does that improve the situation? I'm assuming that you have some application installed which can read PDF files, such as Adobe Reader.

Note that Word can't open PDF files; you will have to convert the file to RTF or DOC format first.

Wednesday, February 8, 2012 3:23 PM