Employee-ID visible from ADUC RRS feed

• Question

• Does anyone know how to have the Employee-ID visible from with AD Users and Computers?  I want my help desk users to be able to update these entries from one common interface.

I did find a person who added the functionality with ADUC through the context menu by right clicking a users name and selecting the Employee-ID option but I wanted to see if there were other possibilities.  IS the ADUC interface locked down to the point where you cant add additional fields?

Any help would be appreciated.

Has anyone else tried this?

Thanks

Thursday, April 12, 2007 8:00 PM

Answers

• The interface is locked down.  Unfortunately, the only way this can be done is with an MMC extension that targets ADUC.  There are two options.  The first is to use the VB6 Smile MMC Snap-in.  There is a How-To document out there if you are interested.  What we did was create and register a C++ MMC Snap-in that works with AD Display Specifiers.  I bet if you google it, someone must have done this already.

The short-term solution for you would be to use ADSIEdit.

Thursday, April 12, 2007 8:17 PM

All replies

• The interface is locked down.  Unfortunately, the only way this can be done is with an MMC extension that targets ADUC.  There are two options.  The first is to use the VB6 Smile MMC Snap-in.  There is a How-To document out there if you are interested.  What we did was create and register a C++ MMC Snap-in that works with AD Display Specifiers.  I bet if you google it, someone must have done this already.

The short-term solution for you would be to use ADSIEdit.

Thursday, April 12, 2007 8:17 PM
  • See http://www.kouti.com/scripts.htm

employeeID.vbs

Tony

www.activedir.org

Thursday, April 12, 2007 9:51 PM
  • Tony,

I ended up using the method you mentioned in the link and that works great.  One thing that I wonder about with ADUC is that when I load Exchange management it adds a tab in my properties view.

I dont see why I should not be able to create a tab just for EmpID or add it to the general tab.

If you have any clues let me know.

Thanks

Friday, April 13, 2007 6:06 PM
  • When you install the Exchange System Mangagement Tools new dlls are installed locally that add the new tabs to DSA.MSC (Active Directory Users and Computers).  Actually, the tools install also includes a new snap-in called USERS AND COMPUTERS.MSC, but from what I can determine this is no different to DSA.MSC.  In any case if you fire up either snap-in you see the additional exchange-specific tabs.

You can add new tabs yourself, but it involves writing a new Display Specifier and is not trivial to implement (which is why most organisations tend not to do it).  For more information, see the link below.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windows2000serv/technologies/activedirectory/howto/adschema.mspx

One thing to bear in mind is that you will need to manage the deployment of your new Display Specifier carefully after you have developed it.  You will also need to keep up to date with changes to the Windows 2003 OS and schema to ensure your changes work with newer versions.

Tony

www.activedir.org

Friday, April 13, 2007 10:15 PM
  • Dears,

I appreciate your support but this solution show the employee ID in the user menu and I need to use it to show the employee ID in the user properties to be seen in the properties for users in outlook

So could you please advice me  ?

Wednesday, May 27, 2009 8:31 AM