need help reading the minidump file RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I will randomly get the BSOD and I cannot seem to read the minidump file because of some symbol path issues in the debug software.  Anyway, I am new to this and would like to find out what is causing my crashes.  The minidump file is at the following url:

http://bit.ly/hI9MUp

If anyone could help me diagnose my problem, I would be very thankful.

Thanks...

Tuesday, January 25, 2011 5:03 PM

Answers

• I am not having anymore BSOD's!  I turned off the power saving options of the hard drives within the control panel's power saving advanced management.   I set the option to Never.

The next step is to update the firmware of my external Firewire drive which will require me to backup all the information on that drive and reformat the drive...bummer...but at this point I don't care because I feel like we made document-able progress by isolating the problem and arriving at a solution.

Thanks for all the comments, diagnosis and suggestions.

Sincerely,

Jason.

• Marked as answer by tykomusic Sunday, January 30, 2011 6:40 PM
    Sunday, January 30, 2011 6:40 PM

All replies

• Most people (including myself) are not going to click on an unknown or non-recognizable shortcut. You would be better off uploading the minidump to Skydrive:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproui/thread/4fc10639-02db-4665-993a-08d865088d65

SC Tom
    -There's no such thing as TMI when asking for tech support.

Tuesday, January 25, 2011 5:27 PM
  • Thanks for the tip...I put it in skydrive...

http://cid-c81973a007e0e07a.office.live.com/self.aspx/Minidump/012511-21387-01.dmp

Hopefully there is a bit of a clue within this file?!

Thanks so much

Jason.

Tuesday, January 25, 2011 7:35 PM
  • WhoCrashed came up with

crash dump file: C:\windows\Minidump\012511-21387-01.dmp
    This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x70740)
    Bugcheck code: 0x9F (0x3, 0xFFFFFA800666E050, 0xFFFFF80000B9C4D8, 0xFFFFFA8005BE2E10)
    Error: DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE
    file path: C:\windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
    product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
    company: Microsoft Corporation
    description: NT Kernel & System
    Bug check description: This bug check indicates that the driver is in an inconsistent or invalid power state.
    This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
    The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver which cannot be identified at this time.

You can read more about it here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff559329(v=vs.85).aspx
    Google brings up a lot of reading: http://www.google.com/search?q=MSDN+bugcheck+DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE

Have you installed anything new lately, software or hardware?

SC Tom

Tuesday, January 25, 2011 9:25 PM
  • This is a fresh install of Windows and the BSOD happened with all the updates and current drivers.  I recently upgraded my processor and video card because the processor was a hand-me-down and the video card went south.

Interestingly enough, I ran the Windows 7 Compatibility software and it turns out that my old video card software was not compatible/supported by Window 7.  I have uninstalled this driver and accompanying software and no BSOD just yet.  However, I am not holding my breath...or maybe I am...anyway, hopefully this will fix it.

Thanks for translating the minidump for me, as well as giving me some suggestions.  It is reassuring to read that the problem is probably software based.

Sincerely,

Jason.

Wednesday, January 26, 2011 12:24 AM
  •  

You're welcome. Hopefully removing the old card and drivers will take care of it.
    You can also look in the Event logs for any warnings or errors that may still be occurring in the background. By looking at the information in them, you can gain quite a bit of insight as to what is going on, and possible hints to fix them. It's also a great way to speed up your system and make it more stable. Fewer errors=better speed and stability :-)

SC Tom

Wednesday, January 26, 2011 12:40 PM
  • Are you sure that you don't get new crashes? The dump says the that this driver is the cause:

DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE (9f)
    A driver is causing an inconsistent power state.

BUCKET_ID:  X64_0x9F_3_disk_IMAGE_sbp2port.sys

Image path: \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\sbp2port.sys
        Image name: sbp2port.sys
        Timestamp:        Tue Jul 14 01:19:53 2009 (4A5BC119)
        CheckSum:         0001B82D
        ImageSize:        0001D000
        File version:     6.1.7600.16385
        Product version:  6.1.7600.16385
        File flags:       0 (Mask 3F)
        File OS:          40004 NT Win32
        File type:        3.7 Driver
        File date:        00000000.00000000
        Translations:     0000.04b0
        CompanyName:      Microsoft Corporation
        ProductName:      Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
        InternalName:     sbp2port.sys
        OriginalFilename: sbp2port.sys
        ProductVersion:   6.1.7600.16385
        FileVersion:      6.1.7600.16385 (win7_rtm.090713-1255)
        FileDescription:  SBP-2 Protocol Driver
        LegalCopyright:   © Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

and this is related to IEEE 1394 Firewire devices. And because of the Bugcheck type you should check the Power saving setting of your IEEE 1394 Firewire devices.

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code" CLIP- Stellvertreter http://www.winvistaside.de/
    • Proposed as answer by Andre.Ziegler Monday, January 31, 2011 1:13 PM
    Wednesday, January 26, 2011 1:18 PM
  • So the thing I said about not holding my breath...well...BSOD are still an issue...I am going to look into the Firewire suggestion...I have a 1TB external drive connected via Firewire...I will look for something related to this device...I will report back...

Thanks,

Jason.

Wednesday, January 26, 2011 5:57 PM
  • .I am going to look into the Firewire suggestion...I have a 1TB external drive connected via Firewire...I will look for something related to this device...I will report back...

ok, this can be the cause. Try to disable the power saving features of the HDD and the Firewire port and only connect the HDD if really needed.

André

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code" CLIP- Stellvertreter http://www.winvistaside.de/
    Wednesday, January 26, 2011 10:34 PM
  • I unplugged the external drive and left the system overnight...no crashes...I checked the event log and the last crash happened before the unplugging of the drive...prior to this unplugging, the event log reported regular crashes...so far this seems to be working the best. 

I have now set the power saving settings such that the Hard Drives will not ever shut down...I am going to plug the drive back in to see if it works...will report back.

Thanks for the suggestions...so far so good...

Jason.

Friday, January 28, 2011 3:40 AM
  • I am not having anymore BSOD's!  I turned off the power saving options of the hard drives within the control panel's power saving advanced management.   I set the option to Never.

The next step is to update the firmware of my external Firewire drive which will require me to backup all the information on that drive and reformat the drive...bummer...but at this point I don't care because I feel like we made document-able progress by isolating the problem and arriving at a solution.

Thanks for all the comments, diagnosis and suggestions.

Sincerely,

Jason.

• Marked as answer by tykomusic Sunday, January 30, 2011 6:40 PM
    Sunday, January 30, 2011 6:40 PM

ok, nice to hear that my idea fixed it :)

André

Monday, January 31, 2011 1:14 PM
  • Can someone help me read my minidump file?  I received BSOD bad_pool_header..  Thanks!
    Tuesday, August 2, 2011 10:15 PM