Windows 10 Killed my RAID 1 harddrives! RRS feed

• Question

• A friend of mine helped me set up a Raid 1 setup for my wife's computer so that all the photography she had done could be stored "safely".  I just upgraded the computer to Windows 10 and the RAID harddrives have lost their marbles and now are split into multiple partitions of which one drive states that it's online (in two partitions) and the other is two separate parts one "offline" and one "missing"

Anyway to fix or at least save the data and start over with a different setup?  HELP!!

I'd load a screen shot but apparently I'm not a verified user...

Monday, December 28, 2015 6:02 AM

Answers

• Hi Belacreilloc,

If this RAID is based on hardware, we should get Windows 10 compatible driver for the RAID controller. Check the device manufacturer website.

If this RAID is based on the software(Windows Storage Space), we could back up the data to an external media and re-create the RAID considering you are using RAID 1(mirror).

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, December 29, 2015 6:04 AM

All replies

• Do you know if the raid was setup as a hardware raid using the computer, or a software raid using Windows? That will depend on what needs to be tried. If it is a hardware raid then you may need an updated raid driver for Windows 10.

Is the data valuable to you? i.e. does it have a dollar value? Depending on that you may consider either a data recovery company or data recovery software. Also trying recovery of the data the drives may lead to steps that cannot be reversed so I would be careful with trying things, as they might make it worst. Drive recovery software normal recovers to another third drive so as to not make changes to the drive being recovered from.

Knowing if its hardware or software raid would be the starting point.

• Edited by -Mr Happy- Monday, December 28, 2015 1:38 PM
    Monday, December 28, 2015 1:38 PM
  • Hi Belacreilloc,

If this RAID is based on hardware, we should get Windows 10 compatible driver for the RAID controller. Check the device manufacturer website.

If this RAID is based on the software(Windows Storage Space), we could back up the data to an external media and re-create the RAID considering you are using RAID 1(mirror).

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, December 29, 2015 6:04 AM