none
Scheduling a 24X7 work: changing working hours and shifts RRS feed

• Question

• Let us say we have a project or tasks in a project which are executed round the clock (like maintenance related tasks). We have 2 teams working on the same. each team working in 12 hours shift (say morning 8 am to evening 8 pm and then 8 pm to 8 am the next day. What is the best way to schedule the same? I would also prefer to mention the duration in hours,

I tried applying a 24 hrs calendar to the project and changing the working time of resources. It did not work properly (either the duration gets extended or the cost computed is wrong). Perhaps some more settings are required in Options/ Schedule. 

Pl share your suggestions. Thanks in advance

Ulhas Samant

Friday, February 19, 2016 5:16 PM

All replies

• This is how I do it.

The task can be performed 24 hours so it should have the 24 hour calendar assigned.

Suppose you have a task with duration 5 ordinary days, Monday - Friday which starts at 00:00 on Monday (use a MSO date constraint).

The default definition of day in file, options, schedule is 8 hours (don't change it), so there are 3 of these days in a 24 hour period.

To make the duration correct it will be 5 x 24 = 120 hours, or 5 x 3 x 8 = 120 days. Yes, I know it seems odd that the duration in hours is apparently the same number as the duration in days. For shifts scheduling, it is better to input the duration in hours.

Suppose you have two shifts, each 12 hours in a 24 hour period.

You need a day shift resource with a calendar like this: 06:00 - 18:00

and a night shift resource with a calendar like this: 00:00 - 06:00, 18:00 - 00:00

Assign them both to the task. Make sure you use the assign resources dialog and assign them both together, not one after the other.

Use the task usage and/or resource usage views to check what happened.

Any help.

Saturday, February 20, 2016 12:42 AM