After installation of Microsoft Windows Live, password box does not appear after pressing CTRL ALT DEL RRS feed

• Question

• I'm using Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit. When I press CTRL ALT DEL after locking workstation or rebooting after the installation of  Microsoft Windows Live, the password box does not appear. The screen remains blue and only shows Cancel with Window 7 Enterprise Logo, Ease of Access button and the Shutdown options button at the bottom . The password box appears in Safe Mode. I was issued a new computer recently and this is only happening on that computer. My old computer which is also Windows 7 Enterprise didn't have an issue with this. My old computer is version 6.1.7600 Build 7600 and my new computer is version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601.
    Friday, April 27, 2012 2:00 PM

Answers

• My "Bottom line" statement was wrong. Curiously, I re-installed SP1 after an update for Windows Live Essentials 2011 was installed and it worked.

It seems that if you install SP1 after the installation and update of Windows Live Essentials 2011 then you shouldn't have an issue.

• Marked as answer by jjacksoncde Tuesday, May 1, 2012 11:01 PM
    Tuesday, May 1, 2012 11:01 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Regarding the issue, please try the following suggestions.

1. Boot in Safe Mode or Recovery Console, open command prompt, run chkdsk /f /r command.
    2. Boot in Safe Mode or Recovery Console, open command prompt, run sfc /scannow command.
    3. If the issue persists, please compare the following two registry trees with a working computer.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Notify

Similar post for reference:
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itprogeneral/thread/02dada7a-1ed0-488d-bfb4-b144d59597a5/

Niki Han

TechNet Community Support

Monday, April 30, 2012 3:12 AM
  • Hi,

Thank you, but I tried all three of your suggestions and still no luck.

Monday, April 30, 2012 8:01 PM
  • Hi,

What's the result of the comparation? You can export the registry from a healthy PC, them import it on your problematic PC.

At this time, I suggest you perform clean boot and disable security software temporarily for a test. If the issue persists, let's perform system restore.

Niki Han

TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, May 1, 2012 7:36 AM
  • The registry entries were the same on both PCs, but I didn't compare to a system with the same Windows 7 build. That will be my next test, hopefully.

I performed a clean boot and the problem still persisted. I did system restore before Windows Live was installed, and that let me back in but that doesn't solve the problem. I use Windows Mesh all the time, I would like to continue using it on my new machine. I'm looking for a solution that will fix the problem.

Tuesday, May 1, 2012 2:04 PM
  • I tried on another computer, same make, model and Windows 7 Build, and it did the same thing, so now I believe it is a compatibility issue with Winows 7 Enterprise SP1.
    Tuesday, May 1, 2012 5:29 PM
  • Yea, it was SP1. I uninstalled SP1 on my new computer and now I get the password box when Windows Live Essential 2011 is installed.

Bottom line, Windows Live Essential 2011 is not compatible with Windows 7 Enterprise SP1.

• Marked as answer by jjacksoncde Tuesday, May 1, 2012 8:11 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by jjacksoncde Tuesday, May 1, 2012 10:57 PM
    Tuesday, May 1, 2012 8:10 PM
  • My "Bottom line" statement was wrong. Curiously, I re-installed SP1 after an update for Windows Live Essentials 2011 was installed and it worked.

It seems that if you install SP1 after the installation and update of Windows Live Essentials 2011 then you shouldn't have an issue.

• Marked as answer by jjacksoncde Tuesday, May 1, 2012 11:01 PM
    Tuesday, May 1, 2012 11:01 PM