vista right click start RRS feed

• Question

• I have a hp laptop and install  vista home permium sp1. when I turn on the laptop for a while, when I right click stat, there are three icon left , properties, open all uses and explore all users. when I click quick launch, IE doesn't work, all applications on the desktop do not work. and start->program, there are no any program in it.  The laptop doesn't work when click shutdown, the only way is to restart by using ctrl+alt+del, then let it restart. but after restart, and perhaps 20 mins, this happens again.
    does anyone know this? appreciate your help.

Andy
    Friday, December 26, 2008 10:51 PM

All replies

• Best idea is that it was an install (or, did you do an in-place upgrade?) gone bad (it happens.)
    If it was a clean install, I'd suggest simply re-installing Windows.
    If it was an upgrade, you may need to do as above to fix it.  However, you might be able to repair it by running sfc /scannow (from an elevated command prompt), inserting your Vista DVD when prompted.

HTH,
    Chris
    [If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]
    Saturday, December 27, 2008 8:42 PM
  •  Thanks, Chris,
     I didn't do any upgrade..also that was my second time install vista. I have installed notron and updated well. this happened when I bought the laptop, after I found this problem, I reinstall vista a week ago, but it happenes again...

but where I should run sfc? by enter cmd? but it doesn't allow me to do it.. says must be an amdin to do it...

Any suggestion... thanks..

Andy
    Saturday, December 27, 2008 8:53 PM
  • Correct - that's why I said to run it from an Elevated command prompt.
    Start > type command in the Search box.  Right-click "cmd.exe" > Run as Administrator; OK the UAC prompt.
    Now run sfc /scannow.
    Note:  if the PC is running SP1, the install disc that you use must also have SP1 on it.  Otherwise, sfc can't use the disc (due to version mismatch.)
    Also, the disc needs to be a 'real' Vista disc, not a Recovery disc
    [If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]
    Saturday, December 27, 2008 9:01 PM
  • thanks.. there are nothing special found after scan...
    ...still investagting it.. will post here is anything happens...
    Sunday, December 28, 2008 1:27 AM
  • Given what you've said happens, and what you have installed (or, have tried to have installed,)
    My best suggestion at the moment is to do a clean install of Windows.  Run the machine (don't go on the internet), and see how it runs.
    If everything seems normal, update the box thru Windows Update.  Check operation.
    If it's normal, install your AV of choice, and update that.  Check operation.
    If it's normal,  then start installing your normal apps, one at a time, checking operation as you go.
    My best guess is that either the AV app/suite is mucking things up, or an app that you're installing is doing it.

HTH,
    Chris
    Sunday, December 28, 2008 5:18 PM