Giving users access to an exchange 2007 mailbox at a granular level RRS feed

• Question

• Hello Everyone,

I have a user that is a directors PA. This user needs access to the directors inbox but there are some folders that the director does not want the user to see. The only way I can think to achieve this is not to give the user full access permissions but to grant them mapi permissions. The problem is that the PA will have to open the mailbox every time she needs access to his files.

Does anyone know of a better way of doing this?

Tim

Monday, May 20, 2013 10:52 AM

Answers

• I tested it and the opened mailbox stays in the navigation pane even when stopping and starting Outlook.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."

• Marked as answer by Tim Friel Tuesday, May 28, 2013 1:33 PM
    Thursday, May 23, 2013 7:43 PM

All replies

• The PA can add folders to Outlook and they will stay in the folder list when using File > Open > Other user's folder.  At least the Calendar does, since that's what I could test.  Your director could share the Inbox that way but restrict permissions on private subfolders and the PA wouldn't be able to open them.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."

Monday, May 20, 2013 5:16 PM
  • Hi Ed,

Thank you for  this. I think you are right. The only problem is the user doesn't want to be navigating though the menu's at every stage. I presume there is no way of doing this and have the mailbox in the folders section of Outlook.

Tim

Wednesday, May 22, 2013 2:59 PM
  • I tested it and the opened mailbox stays in the navigation pane even when stopping and starting Outlook.

• Marked as answer by Tim Friel Tuesday, May 28, 2013 1:33 PM
    Thursday, May 23, 2013 7:43 PM