Blank Screen While Booting RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

A couple of months ago my Windows Vista machine had a hard Disc Crash. The only solution turned out to be buying a new Disc and reinstalling all the software (including the OS) from the original disc. Since then I've installed all of the service packs so the machine is now up to date.

Everything was fine until about a week ago when the machine started to refuse to boot. I get as far as the Microsoft loading bar and the screen goes blank instead of showing the Windows logo. The only solution is to power cycle the machine, and after a few attempts the boot sequence will work as expected. The odd things are:

1. On the reboot the OS doesn't ask me if I want to boot into safe mode or roll back an update. It boots as normal.

2. There isn't anything in the system event log to indicate I even tried to boot the machine. (I was hoping for an error message so I could investigate further)

Other then the new Disc (which was working for over a month with out issues) the machine hasn't had any hardware changes since they day I got it (over 3 years ago).

Any idea?

Saturday, November 16, 2013 8:01 PM

All replies

• Please provide us with your Event Viewer administrative logs by following these steps:

Click Start Menu
    Type eventvwr into Search programs and files (do not hit enter)
    Right click eventvwr.exe and click Run as administrator
    Expand Custom Views
    Click Administrative Events
    Right click Administrative Events
    Save all Events in Custom View As...
    Save them in a folder where you will remember which folder and save as Errors.evtx
    Go to where you saved Errors.evtx
    Right click Errors.evtx -> send to -> compressed (zipped) folder
    Upload the .zip file to skydrive or a file sharing service and put a link to it in your next post

Wanikiya and Dyami--Team Zigzag

Saturday, November 16, 2013 8:27 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for getting back to me. My search didn't find "eventvwr.exe" (I've probably not set up the indexing system correctly since the reinstall) - but I'm assuming that this is the event viewer.

I've uploaded the file to SkyDrive. How do I share the link with you in a secure way?

Thanks again.

Monday, November 18, 2013 10:37 PM
  • Tymefly

You can put a link to it in your next post.  It is the only way as there is no private messaging facility on this site.

Tuesday, November 19, 2013 12:09 AM
  • Hi,

In that case, if you can you drop me a mail I can send you the link.

Thanks for your help

• Edited by TymeFly Wednesday, November 27, 2013 10:36 PM
    Tuesday, November 19, 2013 9:51 AM
  • Tymefly

We would prefer you put it in the post.  I cant receive/send email from here.

Wednesday, November 20, 2013 11:42 PM
  • Hi,

Sorry for the hassle - I've uploaded the file to SkyDrive, but I'm unable to post the link. Every time I try  I get a message telling me "I need to verify the account". This is odd as I thought I already had. Any chance you can advice me on how to get this working first.

I feel so stupid.

Thanks again
    Thursday, November 21, 2013 10:51 PM
  • If you are being told you cant post a link, or embed a picture (or any other restriction) you just need to post to this thread saying your account has not been validated

• Edited by ZigZag3143x Friday, November 22, 2013 12:51 AM
    Friday, November 22, 2013 12:49 AM
  • Thanks for the update. I've requested that my account be verified and I'll be back to this issue as soon as I can.

Cheers.

Tuesday, November 26, 2013 1:14 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your advice and patience. I think the link you need is:

https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=b7558d0c4a8d5db5&id=&action=Share#cid=B7558D0C4A8D5DB5&id=B7558D0C4A8D5DB5!105

As requested I've uploaded the event viewer and I've also copied up ntbtlog.txt, which I'm hoping might also have some useful information.

Tuesday, November 26, 2013 8:11 PM
  • TymeFly

Many, many different issues.

1-many security issues ( run malwarebytes scan)

2-Avast needs to be removed or re-installed

3-Windows updates applied that are not for this system (KB2796919 KB 2813430& others)

4-CDROM2 has controller errors (Bad block)

5-Outlook needs to be re-installed.

Many more.  To fix al of these may take longer than to re-install the OS clean.

Please download the free version of Malwarebytes.
    Update it immediately.
    Do a full system scan
    Let us know the results at the end.

http://www.malwarebytes.org/products

Wednesday, November 27, 2013 2:20 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for taking the time to look at this. The diagnosis doesn't sound good though :-(

Just so I can lean something how did you come to these conclusions? I'm also curious about how a CD rom can have a bad block.

I've downloaded the scanner and will report back with the results.

Wednesday, November 27, 2013 10:36 PM
  • TF

I just looked through the event viewer logs for critical errors and errors hoping there would be a single issue that would be easily fixed.

It is not the CDROM that is faulting but the "controller" (could be a driver or hardware)

You may be able to get away with a repair install from the vista CD  but in all honesty a clean install is much better but it is a lot of work.

Thursday, November 28, 2013 4:11 AM
  • Hi,

As requested I've run a full scan and uploaded the log file.

Actually there is something odd in the boot sequence I've noticed. It appears that the machine is trying to load the AVG drivers. This is odd because I uninstalled AVG (it clashed with the COMODO firewall).

How to I safely remove a driver from the boot sequence? Is there some way of booting the system and choosing which drivers I load (I could step through the boot sequence and see where it falls over)

Cheers,

TF

• Edited by TymeFly Thursday, November 28, 2013 6:23 PM
    Thursday, November 28, 2013 6:06 PM
  • Tymefly

When you removed AVG did you use their uninstaller?

If that doesnt fix the issue you can always find the drivers and rename them to *.BAK so they cant load.

Thursday, November 28, 2013 7:56 PM
  • Hi,

I *think* I'd removed it this way, but that was about 2 months ago so I'm not 100% sure. I've tied to remove it again this way, but it hasn't helped. Oh well!

The only way I can reliability boot the machine is:

1. From cold, boot the machine while pressing F8
    2. Boot into Safe Mode
    3. When I've got the log in screen, else "reboot"
    4. Press F8 again
    5. Select "Boot Windows normally"

I've no idea why this works - I can get in (and write this message!) but it's not ideal.

• Edited by TymeFly Thursday, December 5, 2013 10:59 PM
    Thursday, December 5, 2013 10:58 PM