C: Drive Doesn't Appear In Disk Defragmenter RRS feed

• Question

• This problem is happening on a client's Win 7 Pro SP1 64 bit laptop.

When I open Disk Defragmenter I see all the drives i.e. C:, System Reserved, etc.

But when I click "Configure Schedule" and then click "Select Disks", I don't see any drives in the Disk Defragmenter: Select Disks For Schedule window.

Can anyone help?

Wednesday, November 5, 2014 7:45 PM

Answers

All replies

• Do you have administrator privileges? Try opening disk defragmenter as an administrator. Press start > type "disk defragmenter" > Right-click > "Run as administrator"

let me know if that solves your issue

Don't forget to mark the post that solved your issue as "Answered." By marking the Answer you are enabling users with similar issues to find what helped you. Lewis Renwick - IT Professional

Wednesday, November 5, 2014 9:30 PM
  • Hi,

Are you able to manually defragment the disk under "Current Status"? Are they HDD or SSD?

please see this link:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows/schedule-regular-disk-defragmenter#1TC=windows-7

Note

• Defragmentation can't be scheduled for solid-state drives (SSD), as well as some types of virtual hard disks (VHD). If you want to defragment a volume that isn't showing up in the Select disks dialog box, you can try defragmenting it manually.

Or there might be some error on the drives, if so, please run chkdsk /f /r and check if there are some corruption in the drive, or refer to the following link to check a drive to see if there're some errors

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows7/check-a-drive-for-errors

Yolanda Zhu
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by MalcH Monday, November 10, 2014 10:24 AM
    Thursday, November 6, 2014 5:44 AM
  • Thank you for your replies - the disk isn't an SSD, will post back a full response to your replies tomorrow (UK) when I will be working on the machine again.
    Thursday, November 6, 2014 10:26 AM
  • Let us know how things turn out. Yolanda pointed out some very useful information, I would definitely run the check disk and try a manual defrag.

Don't forget to mark the post that solved your issue as "Answered." By marking the Answer you are enabling users with similar issues to find what helped you. Lewis Renwick - IT Professional

Thursday, November 6, 2014 3:58 PM
  • The user has admin privileges and running Disk Defragmenter as Administrator didn't resolve the issue.

The disk can be manually defragged under Current Status but the chkdsk didn't resolve the problem which still exists.

This is obviously a bug as other people have had the same experience and it would be good to have a fix but as the disk can be manually defragged it's not worth pursuing.

None of the replies above really resolved the issue but I'll mark Yolanda's as the answer at this time.

Monday, November 10, 2014 10:24 AM