Nav pane showing only 2 levels of headings RRS feed

• Question

• My top 2 heading levels, which show correctly in the Nav Pane are standard Heading 1 and Heading 2, but my third level is one I made up, Head3. I don't know whether that is responsible for the Nav Pane omitting the third level. I have three TOC's, one for only level 1, one for levels 1 and 2, and one for all three levels. These look ok.

More clues: 1. Rt-ck on an entry in the Nav Pane and choose Show Heading Levels, set it to All. Makes no difference.

2. If I change some of my Head3's to Heading 3, those do show in the Nav Pane. But until today I had my Head3's showing too.

• Edited by tap17 Friday, December 20, 2013 7:09 AM
    Friday, December 20, 2013 6:37 AM

Answers

• The Outline Level was already set to 3. I  fixed the problem by doing Open and Repair, which rarely helps with a problem. But I'm glad you pointed out the level setting.

Mr.Bip

• Marked as answer by TylorWang Tuesday, December 31, 2013 1:00 AM
    Friday, December 20, 2013 4:50 PM

All replies

• Modify your Head3 style so that its "Outline level" is set to 3. In the Modify Style dialog box, click Format, Paragraph; you'll find the "Outline level" option on the Indents and Spacing tab.

Stefan Blom, Microsoft Word MVP

Friday, December 20, 2013 2:38 PM
  • The Outline Level was already set to 3. I  fixed the problem by doing Open and Repair, which rarely helps with a problem. But I'm glad you pointed out the level setting.

Mr.Bip

• Marked as answer by TylorWang Tuesday, December 31, 2013 1:00 AM
    Friday, December 20, 2013 4:50 PM
  • Since Open and Repair worked, I guess the document was damaged.

Stefan Blom, Microsoft Word MVP

Friday, December 20, 2013 7:06 PM