none
Timephase isolate the Day of the week RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I have a 5 day task starting on a Monday with a resource assigned.  If that task slips to extend over the weekend (using a 7 day calendar) I want to apply a different cost rate without using a separate task just or the weekend portion?   Can I use a formula to determine which weekdays the task is falling over and calculate accordingly?

Thanks

Steve

Wednesday, August 3, 2016 3:30 PM

All replies

• Steve,

That sounds like overtime to me and if so, there is no need for a formula. When you set up the Resource Sheet, include the overtime rate along with the standard rate. Then when a resource logs overtime work, the overtime rate will automatically be used. For example, the screen shot shows a mock up of your 5 day task. In order to allow work on the weekend, I set the Task Calendar to 7 days and also set the task option to "ignore resource calendars". On the first day Joe works a full 8 hours but over the next four days, he is only able to work on the task for 4 hours. Project automatically expands the task duration by spread the remaining 16 hours over Saturday and Sunday. On the Resource Usage view, I've entered the regular hours and the overtime hours in the appropriate fields of the timescaled data. Note the cost for normal weekday work is calculated using the standard rate but the cost for weekend work is calculated using the overtime rate.

There are also other ways to set up separate cost rates for a resource. You can read more about it by hovering your mouse over the Overtime Rate field on the Resource Sheet and then hitting F1 to bring up the help file.

Hope this helps.

John

Wednesday, August 3, 2016 4:59 PM
  • Hi John, thanks for this.  My requirement unfortunately is to apply an overtime cost rate for hours worked on a Saturday morning and then an increased cost rate for the remainder of the Saturday and any work carried out on the Sunday.  

Steve

Thursday, August 4, 2016 9:18 AM
  • Steve,

No problem. Remember I told you there are other options for setting up resource costs? Well, here's what you do.

I've set up the same scenario as before, except this time I added an effective date, including a time, for overtime cost escalation. For the first 4 hours on Saturday, (or more precisely until noon on Saturday), Joe's overtime cost is $20/hr. After that the rate jumps to $30/hr. The possible downside of this approach is that the $30/hr overtime rate will hold for any subsequent overtime whether on a weekday or weekend. In order to "knock" it back down to $20/hr you would need to enter another effective date for the de-escalation. It's not perfect but it will likely handle the majority of situations.

Hope this helps.

John

Thursday, August 4, 2016 1:37 PM