Skype for Business 2016 Chat Window cut-off / Can't see messages RRS feed

• Question

• Today after latest Office 2016 update, Skype for Business having issue.

1. In chat windows, I cant see chat messages coming in for first few lines. Chat screen seems scaled out or zoomed-out.

2. When someone sharing screen, it seems not zoomed-in to see whole shared-screen. I cant's see right and bottom of screen.

This is what my issue exactly:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/all/skype-display-is-cut-off-at-sides/388dc5eb-2868-4231-b62e-fcb728f6adc4

As you can see, previous messages do not appear, looks like cut-off. Sometime I also don't see reply button. Skype for Business is unstable.

Any help will be appreciated. Thank you.

Thursday, January 23, 2020 5:13 AM

Answers

• Nothing worked for my case, so I had to recreate my profile. With new user-profile, SFB is working fine and no zoom issue. Thanks.
    • Marked as answer by spark53 Wednesday, February 12, 2020 8:08 AM
    Wednesday, February 12, 2020 8:08 AM

All replies

• Hi spark53!

Do you have the same issue when logging into the client on other devices?

According to your description, I think this issue may related to Skype for Business client.

You can try to clean Skype for Business cache file to see if this issue still persist, follow these steps:

1.Click Delete my sign-in info

2.Locate your local Appdata folder:%LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Lync

3.Delete the folders that contain your sign-in information. The folder name resembles sip_user@contoso.com

4.Delete all files in the Tracing folder

5.Sign in to Skype for Business again.

Besides, you can also try to use Office 2016 repair tool to repair it and see if this issue still persist. For more details, you can refer to:

https://kb.wisc.edu/helpdesk/9344

If above cannot solve your problem, we recommend you try to use another version of Office to see if it works.

Note: Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. The sites are not controlled by Microsoft. Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. Please make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any suggestions from the above link.

Best Regards,
    Jimmy Yang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.
    Thursday, January 23, 2020 8:18 AM
  • Thanks for your reply.

Yes, I already tried clearing-up those folders and sign-in information as also advised in the link I gave. It didn't work. I can try to repair Office, but cannot go to another version because of enterprise policy. I didn't have this issue before Office update. Recreating my profile folder may be another option to try, but that will be last resort.

Is there any way to remove SFB completely and reinstall it only from scratch without repairing whole Office?

Thanks.

Thursday, January 23, 2020 8:55 AM
  • I have just come across this issue with one of our users. 

We have removed the entire office suite and reinstalled it - same issue.

The issue does seem to be profile specific, we logged into the machine with another user's account and Skype worked as expected. We are going through the steps now of recreating the user's profile and hopefully that will fix it. I know it's a pain but we are out of options. Tried looking at the registry for settings but I wasn't sure really where to look.

Will let you know how I get on with the new profile if this fixes it. 

I have checked another machine on this same office version and Skype for business seems fine on that machine so I am not sure what has broken it for this user. 

hope that elps a little bit. 

Friday, January 24, 2020 11:42 AM
  • If I do profile recreate, hopefully it will work, but I do not want to do it because in that case I have to setup all things from scratch like Outlook profile and indexing. There must be a better solution Microsoft should provide.

More images to describe the issue. First image shows there is no reply box. Second image shows message is cut-off, and previous message not showing.

• Edited by spark53 Monday, January 27, 2020 12:49 AM
    Monday, January 27, 2020 12:48 AM
  • Since I don't see any reply from MS, I guess there is no solution to this issue except I have to delete my profile.
    Tuesday, January 28, 2020 8:29 AM
  • Hi spark53!

I did a test in my environment and I found when I make use of the EASE OF ACCESS—Display SETTINGS—Make TEXT Bigger feature and increase the text size to 125%, this issue will persist all the time. So we recommend you drag your slide to 100% to see if it works. The Display settings are as follows:

Best Regards,
    Jimmy Yang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, January 28, 2020 8:42 AM
  • I had a user with the same issue today. The text size was set at 113%. I am not sure why it was at 113%, but I changed it to the default 100%. This fixed the Skype for Business window size issue.    Thanks!
    Wednesday, January 29, 2020 7:23 PM
  • Hi,
    I am checking the status of this case. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.
    Meanwhile, if the reply is helpful to you, please try to mark it as an answer to close the thread, it will help others who encounter the same issue and read this thread.
    Thank you for your understanding and patience!

Best Regards,
    Jimmy Yang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Friday, January 31, 2020 5:33 AM
  • @Jimmyy_Yang

The issue only started after my office was updated. Prior to the update, SFB was working just fine.

Also, my screen size is 100%.

Thanks.

Wednesday, February 12, 2020 8:07 AM
  • Nothing worked for my case, so I had to recreate my profile. With new user-profile, SFB is working fine and no zoom issue. Thanks.
    • Marked as answer by spark53 Wednesday, February 12, 2020 8:08 AM
    Wednesday, February 12, 2020 8:08 AM
  • Hi Everyone,

Hope it helps in case anyone has the same issue. I had the same issue with one of my users. 
    After Office upgrade from 2016 to Office 365 this issue occurred.  None of the resolutions worked.
    Even the Office 365 insgaller window was cut off from sides.
    And profile recreation was not an option as user was working remotely and not in the domain network.

User's PC was in Russian language. Just changed the display language from Russian to English and voila! the issue got resolved itself.

Wednesday, February 19, 2020 1:29 PM