Forwarding external calls to UM Voicemail RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am looking for some advice on a problem.  We currently have a number of PBXs we are planning to retire on the next 18 months.  In this period I would like to provide voicemail for these PBX users via Outlook.  We have OCS with Enterprise Voice running at the moment.  What I would like to do is forward calls from these PBXs after 20 seconds or so to an OCS number, take a voicemail and forward to a distribution group.

Any thoughts?

Regards,
    James

Wednesday, August 25, 2010 5:13 AM

All replies

• Thoughts...

No-where in your text do you mention Exchange 2007 / 2010.  Just pointing out you need Exchange 2007 or 2010 for UM voicemail, (some people do not realise this).  AND check licensing - you need UM enabled for Exchange user with voicemail.

- IF the PBX's are SIP PBX's, you might be able to connect directly to Exchange without using OCS - I saw a web page on doing this with Asterisk direct to Exchange voicemail, but it should be fairly similar for other IP PBX's.  If they are not SIP PBX's, then going via OCS is also perfectly fine.

- Your idea of forwarding calls to an OCS number, that flows onto voicemail and leave a message is totally workable.  It's the forward to a distribution group I'd want to test more.  If you forward a voicemail e-mail to a distribution group, then one person deletes it, does it delete the message from the original voicemail box or just that one person's voicemail box?  That's something I've never tested.

- As an alternative (and this is what I've done) use a Public Folder to hold to voice mails emails and then when they are deleted - they've gone and no clean up needed later.  Use delete retention set to whatever (mine is a year) to recover deleted voicemails if needed.

If you need it, check out "Advanced Folders Watch Notification".  Free software that montiors Outlook folders, including public folders, and then alerts your users to new e-mails.  Very useful for my phone room guys who needs notifiying there's a new vociemail from customers. 

Hope that helps...

Regards

Paul Adams

Wednesday, August 25, 2010 4:23 PM
  • just expanding on the first comment a bit...

Exchange UM server is a requirement for sure.

The mediation server could handle these calls and route them to OCS user or directly to exchange.

Call flow:

PBX Phone Rings->PBX Phone sends no answer to trunk assigned to ocs (this would either be a media gateway, or direct sip to exchange/ocs, depending on your setup)->OC User account sends call to exchange UM for voicemail->UM sends vm file to exchange mailbox->Mailbox forwarding rule forwards voicemails to distribution group

That last step is something we utilize a lot internally for our help desk. If no one answers the helpdesk, or its after hours, our help desk user has a voicemail, which forwards to our ticketing system, and so on.

You could of course skip OCS all together if you wanted.

If you connect your pbx to exchange, whether direct sip or through media gateway, you could send ring/no answer to the exchange trunk. Exchange UM will identify it has a user setup with that extension, and connect to the users voicemail. Then the same thing applies, create a forwarding rule in the mailbox to send to distribution group.

Randy Wintle | MCTS: UC Voice Specialization | Winxnet Inc
    Wednesday, August 25, 2010 4:53 PM
  • Thanks for the information.  I guess I was a little light on.  We are running OCS with an NET VXe gateway and Exchange 2007 UM.  I look into some of your suggestions.  Thanks.
    Monday, August 30, 2010 12:19 AM