none
Is it possible to ingest a large set of legacy .mpp files into Project Server? RRS feed

• Question

• We have a new Project Server that we stood up.  The customer has a large set of legacy .mpp files that they would like ingested into the Server.  Is there a quick way of adding a bulk set of .mpp files without having to save them one at a time?
    Thursday, February 27, 2014 5:52 PM

Answers

• Hi Chris,

I'm afraid there is no "bulk publish" tool. You'll have to do it one by one unless you develop Powershell script (I can't help you on that).

Just as a comment, importing legacy mpp files implies that an preliminary evaluation has been performed prior to the import. Indeed mpp files might have customizatio, VBA code, macros, custom fields, views, groups, filters.. The evaluation must point out what should be included in the enterprise global and what should not, what should be migrated and what should not.

Then adjustements to single mpp files might be necessary to ensure that the import process is successful (ie calendars, resources, customizations, CF...).

This is why in my opinion, bulk importing mpp local file to Project Server might be risky.

Hope this helps.

Guillaume Rouyre - MBA, MCP, MCTS

Thursday, February 27, 2014 6:15 PM

All replies

• Hi Chris,

I'm afraid there is no "bulk publish" tool. You'll have to do it one by one unless you develop Powershell script (I can't help you on that).

Just as a comment, importing legacy mpp files implies that an preliminary evaluation has been performed prior to the import. Indeed mpp files might have customizatio, VBA code, macros, custom fields, views, groups, filters.. The evaluation must point out what should be included in the enterprise global and what should not, what should be migrated and what should not.

Then adjustements to single mpp files might be necessary to ensure that the import process is successful (ie calendars, resources, customizations, CF...).

This is why in my opinion, bulk importing mpp local file to Project Server might be risky.

Hope this helps.

Guillaume Rouyre - MBA, MCP, MCTS

Thursday, February 27, 2014 6:15 PM
  • Guillaume,

Many thanks.  Your reply was what we suspected.  My tools admin also thought Powershell would be required.

Chris

Thursday, February 27, 2014 6:52 PM