Windows Insider stuck on build 9841 - "No new preview build was found"

Question

• I am in the insider program and on build 9841. I did this same process on 2 other machines, starting at 9841, running through windows updates, and then upgrading to build 9860. However, on this one particular desktop machine, I have all other windows updates applied, but every time I check for a new preview build I simply see the following message:

"No new preview build was found, please try again later."

Any idea how to force this thing to detect the newer build which I know is available?

Patrick

Tuesday, November 04, 2014 8:42 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Please first check the following registry:

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsSelfHost\Applicability

The value should be :

BranchName = fbl_release

ThresholdRiskLevel = low

ThresholdInternal = <should not exist>

ThresholdOptedIn = <should not exist>

Reference: Preview Build failed to download 0x80246018

Make sure the value matchs and try to download again, if still no updates available, please try method 2.

Method 2:

For this desktop machine, if we still have the install.esd available on the other already updated machines, we could take use of the following method to update to Windows 10 Technical Preview 9860:

Please refer to the first method-- Use refresh option to update mentioned in the FAQ below:

[Forum FAQ]Tips on Upgrading Windows 10 Technical Preview from Build 9841 to 9860

After the refresh, please go to PC settings- Update and Recovery- Windows Update, there should be another two updates that need to install.

Best regards

Michael Shao
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, November 05, 2014 7:25 AM

All replies

• Are you behind a reverse proxy?  If so, that may be preventing your system from checking and seeing available preview versions.  To set system proxy--which differs from what is set within IE--use the netsh command.

netsh winhttp import proxy source =ie

For additional information, see links below.

Tuesday, November 04, 2014 10:27 PM
  • Hi,

Please first check the following registry:

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsSelfHost\Applicability

The value should be :

BranchName = fbl_release

ThresholdRiskLevel = low

ThresholdInternal = <should not exist>

ThresholdOptedIn = <should not exist>

Reference: Preview Build failed to download 0x80246018

Make sure the value matchs and try to download again, if still no updates available, please try method 2.

Method 2:

For this desktop machine, if we still have the install.esd available on the other already updated machines, we could take use of the following method to update to Windows 10 Technical Preview 9860:

Please refer to the first method-- Use refresh option to update mentioned in the FAQ below:

[Forum FAQ]Tips on Upgrading Windows 10 Technical Preview from Build 9841 to 9860

After the refresh, please go to PC settings- Update and Recovery- Windows Update, there should be another two updates that need to install.

Best regards

Michael Shao
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, November 05, 2014 7:25 AM
  • Thank you. This worked for me, BranchName value was missing on my install.
    Sunday, December 28, 2014 3:15 PM
  • Mine was fbl_awesome1500 or something like that... changed it to fbl_release and was able to get a download option instead of the "No new preview build was found, please try again later." message. Still downloading but I am hopeful.

Thank you.

• Edited by Skuly1775 Tuesday, January 06, 2015 4:35 AM
    Tuesday, January 06, 2015 4:35 AM
  • Thanks! this worked for me too.
    Tuesday, January 06, 2015 11:23 PM
  • From 9841 build, I did not get any upgrade to build 9860.

Something really crop up at my end.

It could be either the Microsoft Server in my country is a real crop up.

I cannot seems to get any new latest upgrade build.

I keep getting the same error! It is so damn fustrating.

See the screen shot.

Thursday, January 08, 2015 12:28 PM
  • On Thu, 8 Jan 2015 12:28:17 +0000, mrdbeta wrote:

I keep getting the same error! It is so damn fustrating.

See the screen shot.

You're already running 9879 which is the most current build officially
    available.

Paul Adare - FIM CM MVP
    A train station is where trains stop. A bus station is where busses stop.
    A Work Station is where...

Thursday, January 08, 2015 12:53 PM
  • Thanks!

method1 worked for me (branch name was  fbl_awesome1503)

• Edited by jameson9 Tuesday, January 13, 2015 5:05 PM
    Tuesday, January 13, 2015 5:05 PM
  • this worked for me on my desktop. Mine was fbl_awesome1501, after a failed update this was the same on a virtualbox on another computer.
    Wednesday, January 14, 2015 11:00 AM
  • Thanks a lot. Worked like a charm. If anyone's confused about how to access the registry; type regedit on search in start menu.
    Sunday, January 18, 2015 8:10 PM
  • Worked for me also.

My registry had only BranchName and ThresholdRiskLevel

I have just edited the BranchName key to fbl_release and download is now ongoing

Thursday, January 22, 2015 9:36 AM
  • I changed my registry to what you said, but I still can't get any update. Do you have any ideas for me? Only have 10 more days :\

thanks

Monday, April 20, 2015 6:42 AM
  • Zack,

Install an ISO. I would recommend 9926 but it's due to expire soon. Tell you what. 

Install 9926 and that give you room to install a later version. Do not forget to update your recover ssd after 9926 and know that it will require an updated recovery ssd and one that is 16 gb.

Renee

"MODERN PROGRAMMING is deficient in elementary ways BECAUSE of problems INTRODUCED by MODERN PROGRAMMING." Me

Monday, April 20, 2015 12:31 PM
  • Zack,

1. Build 9926 does NOT due to expire soon. Together with build 10041 and 10049, all 3 will expire on October 1st, 2015. See screenshot below.
    A new build will be released by Microsoft before expiry date. MS will not leave you hanging to dry. You can be sure of that. There is no need to worry about expiry date as long as you are on the most current build.

2. The most current ISO available to download is NOT 9926. It is 10041.

Use this link :
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/preview-iso-update-1503

3. I gave you an answer in the other thread of yours. Please go back there and make your replies there. No need to piggy-back this old thread.

Monday, April 20, 2015 12:44 PM
  • I changed my registry to what you said, but I still can't get any update. Do you have any ideas for me? Only have 10 more days :\

thanks

For anything newer than 9926 registry settings must be as follows:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsSelfHost\Applicability]
    "BranchName"="fbl_impressive"
    "ThresholdRiskLevel"="low"
    "Ring"="WIF"
    "ThresholdOptedin"=dword:00000001

Copy this into the registry file and double-click it to import settings into your registry.

Then restart Windows Update and BITS services for the settings to apply on the running instance of Windows. You may use the following script:

net stop wuauserv
    pause
    net stop bits
    pause
    net start bits
    pause
    net stop wuauserv

Copy the text above into a text file, rename its extension to CMD, and run the command file with elevated privileges (right-click the CMD file and select Run as administrator from the shortcut menu).

Note: the branch name changed since 9926 days. Previously you could have the following settings:

"BranchName"="fbl_awesome1501"

or even

"BranchName"="fbl_release"

Both did NOT work for me. The fbl_impressive value worked flawless.

Remember the value of BranchName MUST be the same as the keyword found in the name of the ESD file you download from Microsoft when you click Download now in Update & recovery . The ESD could be found in %systemroot%\SoftwareDistribution\Download or in %systemdrive%\$Windows.~BT\Sources.

You can check to see what is the valid branch name for a particular build on Windows here.

To cut the long story short:

The official Technical Preview releases of Windows 10 are known as:

6.4.9879.0.fbl_release.141103-1722

10.0.9926.0.fbl_awesome1501.150119-1648 10.0.10041.0.fbl_impressive.150313-1821 10.0.10049.0.fbl_impressive.150325-1700

Set BranchName REG_SZ value in [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsSelfHost\Applicability] to:

• fbl_release -- to upgrade to 9879
    • fbl_awesome1501 -- to upgrade to 9926
    • fbl_impressive -- to upgrade to 10041
    • fbl_impressive -- to upgrade to 10049

Well this is the world we live in And these are the hands we're given...

Monday, April 20, 2015 11:43 PM
  • I went to the registry and changed it, it downloaded and during the instillation process, it stopped and error 0x80240016
    Thursday, April 23, 2015 6:18 AM
  • Today, 20150427,

BranchName = fbl_impressive

does the job!

Monday, April 27, 2015 5:42 AM