none
How to restrict custom field editing rights to specific resources in Project Server 2010? RRS feed

• Question

• I have a custom field which i'll be using in the customized workflow to grade a project. I want this field to be editable by a specific group of people ONLY (lets say, heads of department), others can only view the field (even the project manager). Is it possible that i restrict the editiing rights of that custom field only to specific person(s) or group(s)?  

Please help!.

Regards,

Yasmeen Arshad

Monday, April 16, 2012 5:25 AM

Answers

• Might be a little clunky but you could create a PDP for the Execs and another for the generic users. Expose the 'editable' custom fields on the exec PDP, then use sharepoint item level security to lock down security on the exec PDP. Create a calculated custom field which points to the editable field (For example, create a 'Project Business Unit' custom field and then a Calculated custom field witha  formula =[Project Business Unit] ) and show it on the genric users PDP so it displays as read only. Add both PDPs to the same stage and set the field to be editable. Since only Execs have access to the editable fields, they will see the editable custom field PDP page.

Regards,

Piet Remen
    http://pietremen.blogspot.com.au

Monday, April 16, 2012 3:15 PM

All replies

• Might be a little clunky but you could create a PDP for the Execs and another for the generic users. Expose the 'editable' custom fields on the exec PDP, then use sharepoint item level security to lock down security on the exec PDP. Create a calculated custom field which points to the editable field (For example, create a 'Project Business Unit' custom field and then a Calculated custom field witha  formula =[Project Business Unit] ) and show it on the genric users PDP so it displays as read only. Add both PDPs to the same stage and set the field to be editable. Since only Execs have access to the editable fields, they will see the editable custom field PDP page.

Regards,

Piet Remen
    http://pietremen.blogspot.com.au

Monday, April 16, 2012 3:15 PM
  • Thanks Piet for the response.

I have worked upon a similar kind of strategy; i have used the target audience feature on the webpart containing the field targetting only the specified group of people, only thing is that i haven't created another custom field instead i have dispalyed the data in the Project Center view.

Tuesday, April 17, 2012 4:09 AM