sata drive not being recognised on xp RRS feed

• Question

• Hi i have a sata drive from a computer that runs vista , this computer has a blue screen and i have tried many things to acess the drive i want to get my photos and vids off and install xp as vista suxs also this computer has the o/s in a partition. Secondly i have a computer with xp that works with its owns disks i plugged the sata drive in but it wont recognised i figured that once i can do this i can transfer the data.

1 Am i on the right track?

2 How do get the correct drivers if that is the problem?

Thanks

Stupid computers100

Shane Conway
    Friday, March 4, 2011 2:35 AM

All replies

• The SATA controller drivers would usually come with the motherboard drivers.

John

Friday, March 4, 2011 2:43 AM
  • Shane, when you connect the drive to the second PC (with Windows XP) you should check what the Disk Manager says about it. Start Computer Management (in Programs -> Administrative Tools, or right click on My Computer) then select Storage -> Disk Management On the right the recognized disk partitions are shown, and below that the recognized disk drives are shown. If you see the drive but not any partitions on the drive, then the partition table on the drive may be corrupted, and you can try some partition recovery software to fix it. The corruption of the partition table may happen when bad sectors appear on the drive, which means that the drive may be near the end of its life. If you don't even see the drive, then the drive may have malfunctioned and data recovery is possible only in special data recovery shops (the procedure is quite expensive, though, as it requires expensive equipment and expertise). -- rpr.
    Friday, March 4, 2011 3:06 PM
  • Thanks that worked
    Shane Conway
    Saturday, March 5, 2011 7:00 AM
  • thanks that worked

Shane Conway
    Saturday, March 5, 2011 7:00 AM