none
DPM 2010 Maximum protected storage RRS feed

• Question

• I have an impending project involving a large amount of storage.  Not sure DPM 2010 will handle this.  A source server running Server 2003 Standard will be getting an additional storage array.  That array will likely have 100 TB of storage but could grow to 200 TB of storage within two years.  A server running DPM 2010 would have a like storage array with at least the same amount of storage, approx 100 TB to as much as 200 TB.  It looks like DPM 2010 will only handle about 80 TB based on a TechNet web page for DPM 2010 hardware requirements.  My next solution is to get a NetBackup add on to handle this amount of storage.
    BruceEppd
    Wednesday, June 9, 2010 7:42 PM

Answers

• Hello Bruce,

Yes 80TB is the supported limit for the DPM Storage pool.  Can you tell us what kind of data we're talking about protecting ?  SQL DB's, Exchange 2010 mail server,  File shares (Ouch...).  Would it be possible divide the data between production servers to acomodate multiple DPM 2010 servers.

Regards, Mike J [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    • Marked as answer by BruceEppd Thursday, June 10, 2010 9:49 PM
    Wednesday, June 9, 2010 7:51 PM

All replies

• Hello Bruce,

Yes 80TB is the supported limit for the DPM Storage pool.  Can you tell us what kind of data we're talking about protecting ?  SQL DB's, Exchange 2010 mail server,  File shares (Ouch...).  Would it be possible divide the data between production servers to acomodate multiple DPM 2010 servers.

Regards, Mike J [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    • Marked as answer by BruceEppd Thursday, June 10, 2010 9:49 PM
    Wednesday, June 9, 2010 7:51 PM
  • It will be large warehouse of audio files.  The files will be gathered and cataloged by App Extender so the design is one storage pool to house all these files for several years.  Don't know if App Extender can catalog files across several servers.

Thanks for the response.  I probably will be using NetBackup Enterprise instead with a much larger costs.  But I am not paying for all this :-)

BruceEppd
    Thursday, June 10, 2010 9:42 PM