Is there any option to change files and folders alphabetically RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Is there any option available to arrange all files and folder in  alphabetically group.

For Example I have multilple folders name a ,aa ,b,c,d,e,f ,k,l,m,n and multiple files name  a ,b, c,d ,dd,e,g,z,k.

If we will arrange all these files and folders sort and group by name than first it arrange all  folder by name than it arrange all files by name. but I want to arrange  like all files and folder started with A latter should be in A group  than  same for B  and so and so.

In simple can be arrange files and folders like windows XP

Rakesh Kumar

Monday, December 14, 2015 9:28 AM

Answers

• Hi Rakeshyadav,

In the later version, the folder are grouped by the name order separately and the others are grouped by the name order. In windows 8.1 and Windows 10, the folder are grouped  by the name order separately, too. It is by design.

Here is a Windows 10 screenshot example for reference:

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, December 23, 2015 1:51 AM

All replies

• If on File Explorer on a normal folder view, you click View at the top, that expands, Group by then Name, that appears to do the same to me. Then view again, Option, Change folder and search options. On the View tab Apply to Folders, that should set it for all compatible folders.

Monday, December 14, 2015 8:53 PM
  • Hi Happy,

Thanks for your reply,

Sorry I am using windows 7, So can you tell me how to change this setting in Windows 7.

As you can see in windows 7 there are 4 type alphanumeric group 0-9,  A-H,  I-P, Q-Z . But I want to arrange all folders with individual alphabets like windows XP.

Please check the screenshot on my above post.

group A  all files and folder started with A letter

Group B  All files and foler started with B letter

Group C  All files and foler started with C letter

Thanks & Regards

Rakesh Kumar

Tuesday, December 15, 2015 6:18 AM
  • Hi Rakeshyadav,

I have tried to check all the configurations, I am afraid that option (other)is no longer available.

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, December 15, 2015 8:33 AM
  • Hi Rakeshyadav,

MeipoXu is correct the setting I mention does groups, not by name. Even on a drive I have I get 348 items in the A-H group but it does not got any more granular, so I take that it does not.

Tuesday, December 15, 2015 2:07 PM
  • Hi MeipoXu Thanks for your reply,

OK I agree with your reply, but its naming order also not correct because if we arrange multiple files and folder by name than first its arrange all folders by name than its arrange all files by name but usually it should arrange all files and folder by name.

As you can see in below attachment files started with a letter are appearing after all folders but as per the naming rule all files and folders started with A letter should be show together than B letter files and folders.

Rakesh Kumar

Wednesday, December 16, 2015 4:34 AM
  • Hi Rakeshyadav,

In the later version, the folder are grouped by the name order separately and the others are grouped by the name order. In windows 8.1 and Windows 10, the folder are grouped  by the name order separately, too. It is by design.

Here is a Windows 10 screenshot example for reference:

Best regards

Wednesday, December 23, 2015 1:51 AM