Shared Cache in VDI + Local Cache in Physical Clients - Problem? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello Everyone,

I'm playing around with the read only cache and I was wondering what happens in the following scenario:

Suppose there are 3 applications available A, B, and C. All 3 are available on physical clients (vanilla desktops) deployed in a standard fashion. However, only A and B have been populated in the shared cache file on the SAN. For a user with rights to all 3 applications, what will be seen on the VDI machine?

Will the VDI client say, "Well, it's not in the cache, so I'm not even going to advertise it even though this user has the rights to it" ? Will an error be thrown?

I'm sure greater IT minds than my own have pondered this issue.

SC

Wednesday, May 5, 2010 6:29 AM

Answers

• If the App-V Client is configured to access the cache in ReadOnly Mode, it will suppress Published Applications that are not cached. Therefor, in your original scenarios even App C won*t show up on the VDI clients but it will be available on a "normal" client.

RTSP(s) Publishing is the only supported publishing method for VDI scenarios, because the Client won't suppress the uncached applications for other methods..

Falko
    • Proposed as answer by znack Tuesday, May 11, 2010 7:09 PM
    • Marked as answer by StimpyCat Thursday, May 13, 2010 3:56 AM
    Tuesday, May 11, 2010 5:07 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Not having playing around with it I would say that anyone using a read-only cache will supposedly only get that - read-only access.

Meaning, you would have to make sure that app C will be pre-cached.

/Znack

Wednesday, May 5, 2010 7:36 AM
  • Thanks, Znack.

I assume that your answer implies that essentially you must have an App-V management server that specifically serves clients that are read-only cache clients ??

In a read-only cache environment, how do you publish a new app ? 

SC

Wednesday, May 5, 2010 2:56 PM
  • In a read-only cache environment you don't publish new applications. The only way to do that currently is to take the cache offline, mount it into a single virtual machine and add the new applications. Then allow the virtual machines to use the updated cache.

The applications published should match what is already in the cache. Far from perfect, but you could consider read-only cache a v1 release.

Wednesday, May 5, 2010 4:34 PM
  • Aaron,

Thanks for the note. I understand the "should match" part, I'm just wondering/planning what will happen if it doesn't match?

Will the client throw a simple error "sorry, not in the cache" or will it keel over and die?

Thanks,

SC

Wednesday, May 5, 2010 5:16 PM
  • If the App-V Client is configured to access the cache in ReadOnly Mode, it will suppress Published Applications that are not cached. Therefor, in your original scenarios even App C won*t show up on the VDI clients but it will be available on a "normal" client.

RTSP(s) Publishing is the only supported publishing method for VDI scenarios, because the Client won't suppress the uncached applications for other methods..

Falko
    • Proposed as answer by znack Tuesday, May 11, 2010 7:09 PM
    • Marked as answer by StimpyCat Thursday, May 13, 2010 3:56 AM
    Tuesday, May 11, 2010 5:07 PM