Windows 7 Desktop goes Black after a period of inactivity and the user accesses their machine again RRS feed

• Question

• Hi There,

Wonder if someone can offer some help to an unusual problem?

Users have Windows 7 machines which all have a desktop background theme...Blue with a company Logo.

User will go for lunch and leave their position, after a period of time screen saver and/or powersaver kicks in...all normal at this point.

After an hour they come back to their machine and they move the mouse/tap a key and bring the machine back to life (excuse my terminology :) ) and the desktop has gone from the default theme to a black desktop...Icons/Applications will behave fine.

The temporary workaround is:

1. Log off and on windows to restore the desktop back to normal.

or...

2. I do a restart of the service "Desktop window Manager Session Manager" which puts the desktop back to normal as well.

Has anyone seen this and worked a way how to do a permanent fix....have struggled on Google as all answers i find are around screen savers which IS NOT the problem.

Cheers,

Steve

Friday, February 27, 2015 3:00 PM

Answers

• Steve,

No problem! There always has been some oddity around background images. I know PNG images also have some weirdness on Windows. If you convert the background to BMP, it may also help you.

I'm still leaning towards chipset/video/firmware updates.

Also, if you find this post helpful, feel free to confirm the answer!

I'll keep checking back for updates!

-Brenton

Entrepreneur, Strategic Technical Advisor, and Sr. Consulting Engineer - Strategic Services and Solutions Check out my book - Powershell 3.0 - WMI: http://amzn.to/1BnjOmo | Mastering PowerShell Coming in April 2015!

Friday, February 27, 2015 3:49 PM

All replies

• Steve,

It sounds like you may be having problems coming back from "sleep". There are usually a few ways to solve it:

1. (less desirable) Don't allow the computers to go to sleep. Create a group policy to change the power settings on your systems to only go to screen saver, disable going to "sleep".

2. Usually "coming back from sleep" are issues with the chipset drivers, video drivers, or even the BIOS needs to be updated on the systems. Do you build these systems (with a new Windows Image) or is it a factory image?

Do you have the latest BIOS Firmware, Video Drivers, and chipset drivers?

Let us know and I can further help you.

-Brenton

Entrepreneur, Strategic Technical Advisor, and Sr. Consulting Engineer - Strategic Services and Solutions Check out my book - Powershell 3.0 - WMI: http://amzn.to/1BnjOmo | Mastering PowerShell Coming in April 2015!

• Proposed as answer by Brent Blawat Friday, February 27, 2015 3:19 PM
    Friday, February 27, 2015 3:10 PM
  • Hi Brenton,

First of all thanks for your quick response.

I forgot to mention these are machines we maintain on a customer site and I am planning a visit there soon so will be looking at some of the options you mention and then post a fuller report back for you.

In the meantime...

Re 1 we may actually be able to consider not going to "sleep" as this is a 24/7 operation environment so would not be a big deal to do that so may try that on my site visit.

Re 2 we do have a master build IF we need to re-build/re-image...its a fairly locked down completed environment so new machines/rebuilds wont happen often. Just for info we re-did our build from scratch very carefully.

On site going to check the Firmware updates as you quite rightfully mention could be out-of-date and benefit from an update. We last updated them about October/November last Lear.

I have just remembered that sometimes the users resolve the issue by using the mouse and dragging an empty box around the screen and this restores the desktop colour etc...very strange one!!

Cheers,

Steve

Friday, February 27, 2015 3:22 PM
  • Steve,

No problem! There always has been some oddity around background images. I know PNG images also have some weirdness on Windows. If you convert the background to BMP, it may also help you.

I'm still leaning towards chipset/video/firmware updates.

Also, if you find this post helpful, feel free to confirm the answer!

I'll keep checking back for updates!

-Brenton

Friday, February 27, 2015 3:49 PM
  • Hi Brenton,

I am going to mark your answer as your suggestions are very good.

I will however put an update on here once i have tried the ideas on site.

Cheers,

Steve

Monday, March 2, 2015 10:29 AM
  • Sounds good. I'll keep checking back.

Monday, March 2, 2015 3:35 PM