Deleting older versions of apps from App-V 4.6 client cache RRS feed

• Question

• This is specific 4.6 sp1 and upgrade created as new package but not active or inplace upgrade.

I would like to know how to automatically delete older versions from client once old version is disabled in mgmt console and new version is published to the users. As of now, the old versions still remain in user's machine and they can easily launch it from cache though its no more enabled in management console. This is causing many support issues, client cache filling up (I know app-v client is smart enough to unload non-frequenlty used apps) and also licensing issues with ability to use mulitple versions.

I have below 2 solutions & would like to know if there is any better approach to do this as I am talking about 15000 clients here.

1> Run below command as part of prelaunch section in OSD to delete old versions from client. The concern here is the command window pops up for a short time on every launch. This will be something new users will be seeing and may affect user experience.

SFTMIME DELETE PACKAGE:"OLD PACKAGE GUID"

2> Create a vbscript which accepts PACKAGE GUID as parameter and then runs above delete command in hidden command window. Push this vbscript to all users' PCs, call this script as part of prelaunch section in OSD with old package's GUID as parameter. The concern here is, I need to ensure the vbscript is present in all machines always as otherwise users will get error on launch. Adding a condition to check if script exists will again popup a command window (which will be same as method 1)

Shan

Friday, April 5, 2013 9:00 PM

All replies

• The old version still remains in users machine?? You mean the shorcut is still there? or do you just mean it's still in the client and they try to load it from there and it throws an error? If so why are your users even interacting with the client themselves? Not being smart or arrogant, that's a legit question if that is the case.

With 1.) if it's the way I described above then they could still load it in the client before they even launch the latest shortcut to remove it from the client. So that solution is not perfect.

2 is better. What if you run it as a vbscript and select the parameter to hide the command box ",0"? Does it still generate a child command or something? If the application has been removed from the cache once, why do you think it would be cached again? Did you remove access to the application from everybody? Also have you considered pushing it as a package if you are using SCCM? Or depending on your environment, part of some sort of logon script (really dependant on your environment and not a great way, to be honest)

PLEASE MARK ANY ANSWERS TO HELP OTHERS Blog: rorymon.com Twitter: @Rorymon

Friday, April 5, 2013 9:55 PM
  • We have not integrated App-V into SCCM. Thats some thing on the cards when we upgrade to 5.0 but definitely not for 4.6.

The old versions are disabled in server so users dont get shortcuts on next client refresh. But, as the old versions are still cached in client machines, some users are able to launch old version from cache in below ways:

1> Most of the users would have manually pinned shortcut to start menu OR manually created shortcut on desktop. When I unpublish the old version from central management server, only the app-v shortcut under start > all programs gets removed but not the manually created shortcut on desktop or pinned shortcut to start menu.

2> We have softbar installed on all desktops provided for support teams. But, many users use this as a toolbar for launching all app-v applications. As the old versions are still cached in client machine, softbar provides shortcut for both old and new versions.

So, I am trying to know if some one has better ideas or different approach to do this.

<1> If I just include a delete package command in prelaunch sectionn of OSD, it will delete old version from cache only if users launch the new shortcut and also the concern is, they will see a command window (for a short time) on every launch.

<2> We can definitely code the vbscript to launch the delete command in hidden mode. But the concern here is, where to keep the script. If we keep the script in network location, the laptops may fail when they are offline. If we keep the script locally on every pc, it adds a over head of ensuring script is pushed to all PCs. If the vbscript is not accessible or present then users will get error on every launch. We can include "IF EXIST ..THEN" logic in prelaunch for calling the vbscript but this will again behave same as <1> i.e. users will see a command window for short time.

Shan

Saturday, April 6, 2013 8:33 AM