none
Backing up Host servers System State and BMR to tape fails. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi we have been using DPM for about 5 months now. Everything is running good with the exception of one of my Hyperv servers. We have it set to do a BMR and System State protection.  We run these backups to tape weekly. Every week this is the only one that fails, we have two Hyper V servers running and the first one backs up fine.  This is the error message that we get within DPM when the job fails.  "Computer\System Protection\System State on HVH2.xxxxx.local. C:\Program Files\Microsoft System Center 2012 R2\DPM\DPM\Volumes\Replica\Non VSS Datasource Writer9509fa0dce62-Vol\"

When I check the event logs this is the error I see.

Description: Backup to tape failed.

DPM encountered an error while performing an operation for U:\WindowsImageBackup\ on Sxxxxx-1.xxxxx.xxxx.

Any one have any suggestions for corrective action?

Thanks

Bill

Friday, April 17, 2015 8:08 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

The above is from an alert, what are details from the failed tape backup job.

What version of DPM + UR# ?

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Friday, April 17, 2015 9:29 PM
  • 2012 R2 DPM version 4.2.1235.0

This is the backup error that pops up.

DPM encountered an error while performing an operation for U:\WindowsImageBackup\ on xxxxx-1.xxx.local (ID 2033 Details: The system cannot find the path specified (0x80070003))

Thanks Bill

Wednesday, April 22, 2015 3:47 PM
  • Hi,

first would recommend to upgrade your DPM to the actual UR5.

Please check the Windows Backup Log on the affected Server, there should be some detailed error messages.

Seams that you changed the Location for Windows Backup.

Seidl Michael | http://www.techguy.at | twitter.com/techguyat | facebook.com/techguyat | youtube.com/techguyat

Wednesday, April 22, 2015 4:20 PM
  • Hi,

A similar issue was already fixed in DPM 2012 UR3 - so this should not be due to the same cause, but please read this post and check PSDatasourceConfig.xml to verify the path for filestoprotect for systemprotection is correct on the protected server.

<ComponentName>System Protection</ComponentName>
     <FilesToProtect>C:\WindowsImageBackup\*</FilesToProtect>

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, April 22, 2015 5:44 PM
  • Hi Mike;

I checked the PSDatasourceConfig.xml file.  The xml says the backup is going to  <FilesToProtect>U:WindowsImageBackup*</FilesToProtect>. When I look on the server we are trying to do the BMR on there is no WindowsImageBackup folder. So this would explain the error I get in the DPM console. Seeing this folder is not at this location. I have two other drives on this server and I look on each drive. I do not see a WindowsImageBackup folder.

I also looked at the other Hyperv server that is being backe dup by DPM and it has the filestoprotect pointing to the U:\windowsimagebackup folder.  This server does a BMR with no issues.

I guess I am getting confused as to where this file should be point to. I will wait for a reply.

What do you recommend for the next step?

Thanks

Bill

• Edited by Bills150 Wednesday, April 22, 2015 8:47 PM
    Wednesday, April 22, 2015 8:08 PM
  • Hi,

For BMR protection windows server backup writes directly to the DPM replica volume so that is why you don't see the windowsimagebackup folder on the protected server.  It sounds like something is out of whack in the dpmdb.   So the disk based BMR backup is successful but the tape backup fails. Can you do a restore successfuly ?

Thursday, April 23, 2015 4:55 AM
  • Hi Mike;

I  checked and the BMR to disk is working fine no errors. I did a file restore from disk and had no issues. It is just the BMR to tape on this one server that is not working. As you can tell I am new with DPR so learning on the go.

How to I go about checking the dpmdb? Is it possible to just delete this recovery point and recreate would that not resolve it? 

Thanks

Bill

Thursday, April 23, 2015 12:55 PM
  • Hi,

had something like this bevor on a Customer of mine.

Remove the Datasource from Protectiongroup

Keep the Data

ReAdd the Datasource to Protectiongroup.

if ist not working, try to remove and readd the DS, but also delete the Data, if possible.

Seidl Michael | http://www.techguy.at | twitter.com/techguyat | facebook.com/techguyat | youtube.com/techguyat

• Marked as answer by Bills150 Thursday, April 23, 2015 8:51 PM
    Thursday, April 23, 2015 2:51 PM