none
Can DPM 2010 back up to a HP D2D4004i? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We have been having trouble backing up Exchange 2010 with another product and after months of support calls opted to format the backup server and start over with a fresh install of W2008 R2 Enterprise which got us to thinking why not give DPM 2010 a try instead of this other product we are having trouble with.  

I got DPM 2010 installed but when I go to find a disk to back up to it doesn't see my HP D2D4004i (disk appliance) which is connected with a CIFS connection.  I can manually map to the D2D from the backup server just fine but those mappings do not show up in disks inside DPM.  I was able to add the HP D2D4004i to Active Directory and I can manage rights to the folders on the D2D with active directory rights but I still can't seem to get DPM 2010 to see the D2D as a valid disk.  Is there some trick I am missing?  I tried calling HP to see if the device could be setup with iscsi but it appears all the iscsi settings on the D2D is for a directly connected Tape Library to the D2D. The Backup server and the D2D are in the same rack could be connected with a cable if that is an option.

Thanks in advance for any advice. 

Monday, September 26, 2011 5:55 PM

All replies

• Hi

DPM only support block level storage devices (Windows disk management shows them as physical disks) for the DPM Storage pool disks.  Basically locally attached physical disks (ide, scsi, sas), iscsi attached physical disks, fiber attached LUN's on a SAN.   We cannot use NAS or any SMB devices or CIFS connected devices in the DPM storage pool.

Physical disks are very cheap, go buy a few 2TB disks and add them to the DPM server, once disk management sees them and you initialize them you can add them to the DPM Strorage pool.

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Monday, September 26, 2011 11:31 PM
  • Thanks for the advice, I think I discovered a way to get it to work with d2d using the iscsi settings and creating a Virtual Tape Library.  I don't have it all the way setup yet but DPM is seeing the VTL as a Library so I will see how that goes first.  If that doesn't work I will attach physical disks.

Wednesday, September 28, 2011 7:23 PM
  • HI,

OK, so you configured the D2D4004i to be a virtual tape library using iscsi ?   That should work, but DPM backups will be considered disk to tape even thought the VTL uses disks not tape for storage.

let me know how that goes, I don't see that listed on the http://www.windowsservercatalog.com/ so will be nice to document that it does work with DPM if you get it to work.

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Wednesday, September 28, 2011 7:42 PM