none
Data Protection Manager 2010 ID: 880. Details: Not all privileges or groups referenced are assigned to the caller RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

While installing Microsoft Data Protection Manager 2010 following error come up during installation:

ID: 880. Details: Not all privileges or groups referenced are assigned to the caller

I have followed the instalaltion steps provided by Micrsoft.
    Did a clean rebuilt of the physical server.
    I am installing the intergrated SQLServer 2008 option at the time of install.
    The user name is local admin and domain admin.

I am not sure which permissions I am missing.
    Any help will be appreciated.

System Info:

Windows Server 2008 64bit - Physical Server - SP2 and all required updates and DPM 2010n hotfixes applied.
    Monday, August 9, 2010 11:28 AM

Answers

• You most likely have a domain policy that is removing some default permissions.

You need the following privilages to install SQL 2008.

Local Policy Object Display Name
    User Right

Backup files and directories
      SeBackupPrivilege

Debug Programs
      SeDebugPrivilege

Manage auditing and security log
      SeSecurityPrivilege

Resolution
    To add the rights to the local administrator account follow these steps:

a. Log on to the computer as a user who has administrative credentials.
    b. Click Start, click Run, type Control admintools , and then click OK.
    c. Double-click Local Security Policy.
    d. In the Local Security Settings dialog box, click Local Policies, double-click User Rights Assignment, and then double-click Backup Files and Directories.
    e. In the Backup Files and Directories Properties dialog box, click Add User or Group.
    f. In the Select User or Groups dialog box,type the user account being used for setup, and then click OK two times.
    g. Repeat the procedure for the other two policies mentioned in the Cause section
    h. On the File menu, click Exit to close the Local Security Settings dialog box.
    i.  Try installing DPM 2010.

Also try a reboot then see this article if the above does not resolve the issue.

To check the list of privileges that are currently associated for the account used for setup, you can use the AccessChk.exe tool that can be downloaded from the following location:
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb664922.aspx

Usage:  accesschk.exe - a <setup account> *

For example:

c:\tools\accesschk.exe -a My_domain\DPMsetupaccount *

You may need to move that serevr into it's own OU and block domain policy inheritance.

Regards, Mike J [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Monday, August 9, 2010 3:02 PM

All replies

• You most likely have a domain policy that is removing some default permissions.

You need the following privilages to install SQL 2008.

Local Policy Object Display Name
    User Right

Backup files and directories
      SeBackupPrivilege

Debug Programs
      SeDebugPrivilege

Manage auditing and security log
      SeSecurityPrivilege

Resolution
    To add the rights to the local administrator account follow these steps:

a. Log on to the computer as a user who has administrative credentials.
    b. Click Start, click Run, type Control admintools , and then click OK.
    c. Double-click Local Security Policy.
    d. In the Local Security Settings dialog box, click Local Policies, double-click User Rights Assignment, and then double-click Backup Files and Directories.
    e. In the Backup Files and Directories Properties dialog box, click Add User or Group.
    f. In the Select User or Groups dialog box,type the user account being used for setup, and then click OK two times.
    g. Repeat the procedure for the other two policies mentioned in the Cause section
    h. On the File menu, click Exit to close the Local Security Settings dialog box.
    i.  Try installing DPM 2010.

Also try a reboot then see this article if the above does not resolve the issue.

To check the list of privileges that are currently associated for the account used for setup, you can use the AccessChk.exe tool that can be downloaded from the following location:
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb664922.aspx

Usage:  accesschk.exe - a <setup account> *

For example:

c:\tools\accesschk.exe -a My_domain\DPMsetupaccount *

You may need to move that serevr into it's own OU and block domain policy inheritance.

Regards, Mike J [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Monday, August 9, 2010 3:02 PM
  • Good day, i am having the exact same problem here. i have done what was mentioned about, rebooted, installed the latest windows updates but i still cannot install DPM 2012 Beta. Can somebody perhaps assist me?

Thank you

Friday, January 6, 2012 1:34 PM
  • The only other cause would be we have a mismatch of SQL versions on the system.

Check the SQL Setup log for an error: This version of SQL Server doesn't allow us to use the SQL Agent service and hence the service is disabled

If you find that, I would opt to flatten the machine and install everything from scratch.

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Friday, January 6, 2012 6:15 PM
  • Thanks Mike, it worked. I re-installed the box from scratch as i had a problem with SQL, i was able to install DPM.
    Monday, January 9, 2012 4:43 AM
  • Hello. I've tried all that mentioned above, and reinstalled the system and SQL server. Installed all updates and still get the same error 880 when trying to install DPM 2012.

Created the domain admin account SQLDPMAgent. All SQL services are starting using this account.

Granted his the rights to:

• Backup files and directories

• Debug Programs

• Manage auditing and security log

Also using this account to install DPM 2012. And the error doesn't go away :\

Any other solution?

• Edited by tpolekhin Friday, May 25, 2012 12:01 PM
    Friday, May 25, 2012 11:56 AM