#50070: Unable to connect to the database STS_Config on (ServerName)\SharePoint RRS feed

• Question

• Hello to all,

I want to disable Windows SharePoint 2.0 service form my Windows Server 2003 SBS server. In order to acheive the specified goal I had done follwoing steps

Step 1.  Stopped application pool and web sites of SharePoint from IIS.

Step2.  Stopped followings services and set them manual

SQLAgent$SBSMONITORING

SQLAgent$SHAREPOINT

SharePoint Timer Service

Step3. Renamed SharePoint Directory 

C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL$SHAREPOINT to C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL$SHAREPOINT.old

But Still I am getting this error

#50070: Unable to connect to the database STS_Config on (ServerName)\SharePoint.  Check the database connection information and make sure that the database server is running.

How can I stop this error? and Which application trying to connect SharePoint DB?  Already stopped all services related to Sharepoint.

Sainyam Aggarwal MCTS
    • Edited by samhope Wednesday, November 30, 2011 11:08 AM
    Wednesday, November 30, 2011 11:07 AM

All replies

• Hi samhope,

The error occurd when SharePoint Timer Service try to contact the configuration database per this article, and you can check the following kb article with the similar error message,

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/920899

Thanks

Regards, Daniel
    Friday, December 2, 2011 7:16 AM
  • Hello Daniel,

Thanks for your reply.  Exactly same I wanted to know, When I stopped the services of SPT, which triggers it to contact the STS_config Database. I had already disabled the SharePoint and its related service.  

I had gone through with the article and found what ever it settings and file it suggests are in place already.

Furthermore I have set disabled status for all services from manual. But still having the same issue.

Thanks.

Sainyam Aggarwal MCTS
    • Edited by samhope Tuesday, December 6, 2011 2:14 AM
    Tuesday, December 6, 2011 2:13 AM
  • Hi samhope,

After you stoped the services related with SharePoint and set as manual start, you can check whether the error still happen after re-starting the Server.

If the error still persists, I will try to involve someone familiar with this topic to further look at this issue, there might be some time delay. Appreciate your patience.

Thanks

Daniel Yang

TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, December 6, 2011 2:33 AM
  • Hello, 

I am seeing this error in the event viewer, 

Does anyone have any other suggestion's for me? 

I determined it is not a network issue, did the suggested regedit and configured the recommended settings.

I also check the following http://blogs.msdn.com/b/cgideon/archive/2006/05/24/605454.aspx

I'm stumped on this 

Some one please help?

Thanks,

Nick

Thursday, December 8, 2011 3:42 PM