how do i uninstall vista using the bootsect.exe? i click it, but it opens then quickly closes :( RRS feed

• Question

• i have been trying to get rid of the vista boot for about 4 months now, i have the latest vista customer review release. i don't have my xp cd, i can't find the file that can restore my master boot, and i once tried to format the drive but it didn't work. i dual booted vista with xp pro. i can't get into vista anymore because i set the boot in vista to 0, so i think i can't do anything in vista to remove it. i want to uninstall vista because it is really buggy and you can't enjoy aero without a good video thingy, even though i can remake something on xp to make it look and work exactly like vista, even the aero effects. please, can someone help me uninstall vista so i can install linux in its place?
    Tuesday, January 16, 2007 5:07 AM

All replies

• Hey Jon

Sorry to here you are having problems with Vista. It is possible to revert to your previous OS, but your Vista has to be bootable. Use the DVD and try to repair the damaged part of Vista. I am at work now, but I will come back later on this evening and give you the step by step processe to uninstall Vista. But first use the DVD to repair, even if it has to reinstall it, do it. Your files from XP are not missing just archived in Vista, so there is a way to revert back aslong as you can boot into vista.

Friday, January 19, 2007 8:28 PM
  • You can get rid using a boot disk with fdisk

Start the computer with the boot disk and use this command:

fdisk /mbr

this will clean your mbr

I think that you shoud not install Vista in a so earlier stage. Stay with Linux and if you want a microsoft system install Windows XP SP2 that is much more stable.

Best regards 

Sunday, February 11, 2007 2:44 PM
  • Get your vista dvd boot from that.
    Repair computer
    cmd prompt
    goto dvd drive "E:"
    "cd boot" goes to boot directory
    "bootsect /nt52 all" changes to xp boot.
    from there you can delete the vista partition.

and then you can use xp or just install linux on it.
    Monday, February 12, 2007 5:32 PM