none
SSRS SharePoint 2010 to 2013 Migration Microsoft.SharePoint.SPException: User cannot be found RRS feed

All replies

• Hi,

Thank you for your question. 

I am trying to involve someone more familiar with this topic for a further look at this issue. Sometime delay might be expected from the job transferring. Your patience is greatly appreciated. 

Thank you for your understanding and support.

Regards,
    Charlie Liao

If you have any feedback on our support, please click here.

Charlie Liao
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, September 20, 2013 6:47 AM

• Report Server has encountered a SharePoint error. ---> Microsoft.ReportingServices.Diagnostics.Utilities.SharePointException: Report Server has encountered a SharePoint error. ---> Microsoft.SharePoint.SPException: User cannot be found.

Above error could show up if the original user who created the Report or Subcription for the report does not exist anymore. This could also happen if you are migration from one domain to another one. To resolve this issue, The options are to re-deploy the reports which would change the creator of the report to the user who re-deploys it. Another option is to change the ownership of report using RS APIs. Reporting Services checks the presence of Report creator at runtime and throws exception if it cannot find the user, This is by-design.

Thursday, October 10, 2013 2:11 PM
  • > Above error could show up if the original user who created the Report or Subcription for the report does not exist anymore.

This is clearly not the case because I created the report in SP2010 and I moved the site to SP2013.

Me and my account definitely exist!!

> This could also happen if you are migration from one domain to another one.

This is clearly not the case as both the farms are in the same active directory forest.

> Another option is to change the ownership of report using RS APIs. Reporting Services checks the presence of Report creator at runtime and throws exception if it cannot find the user, This is by-design.

Why should I change the ownership when the domain is the same and the user is not deleted. It doesn't make sense.

val it: unit=()

• Edited by MSDN Student Thursday, October 10, 2013 10:03 PM
    Thursday, October 10, 2013 10:03 PM
  • What user account do you see in ULS logs from the time you issue ? You should see same call stack in ULS logs hopefully with the user name its complaing about.
    Friday, October 11, 2013 4:45 PM
  • I had the same issue which I spent a quite a few hours trying to resolve the same problem with a SP2010 SSRS SQL 2008 R2 to SP2013 SQL 2012 test migration.

Full workaround on my blog. Hope you get some useful information or resolution from it.

http://chrishattonnzlsp.wordpress.com/2013/10/17/ssrs-sharepoint-2010-to-2013-migration-microsoft-sharepoint-spexception-user-cannot-be-found/

Thursday, October 17, 2013 9:52 PM
  • Thanks, Christopher. This is another possible reason for the failure.

SP 2010 Web Application would have Classic Auth by default, When you migrate the Web App to SP 2013 it may have Claims Auth as the result user information stored in Reporting Services's User table won't be recognized. In this case, You should create your SP 2013 Web App in classic mode from Windows PowerShell or re-deploy the reports which would change the Report ownership from previous Windows Identity to new Claims Identity.

Friday, October 25, 2013 2:25 PM
  • Did you backup the SSRS encryption key on the old farm and restore it in the SSRS service application in Central Admin or via PowerShell in the new farm?

According to this Technet article it is required for a SSRS migration: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh759331.aspx

Thursday, December 12, 2013 11:54 PM
  • > You should create your SP 2013 Web App in classic mode from Windows

This is not possible in my case because we have developed some governance code which only works with claims.

> PowerShell or re-deploy the reports which would change the Report ownership from previous Windows Identity to new Claims Identity.

Redeployment is a very bad solution.

I don't agree that the solution should be to use classic or redeploy. I think MS needs to provide proper migration approach

Friday, December 13, 2013 12:28 AM
  • The encryption key has nothing to do with this problem.

If I don't restore the key I will loose my database connection string and credentials. 

I am ready to do that.

The problem here is that SSRS does not understand the owner of the report. because the report was created in classic mode and is now being used in claims mode.

Friday, December 13, 2013 12:29 AM
  • Was a solution ever found for this issue?
    Friday, August 28, 2015 2:46 PM
  • Charlie,

You never came back to this post.  Was there ever a solution?

Friday, August 28, 2015 2:48 PM