none
WDP discarded all changes RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, 

See also my other thread 'Cache size'.

After a trial period with 1 computer, we now use SS on our 7 computers since the beginning of January. These are dual boot machines with XP and Vista. We want to retain all changes during the course period of 6 weeks.

However within 4 weeks we had 5 times (3 x XP, 2 x Vista) event 1008 'System did not shut down properly. WDP discarded all changes'.

In 2 cases it could be concluded from the system log, that the computer had been shut down incorrectly.

But in the other 3 cases no reason whatshowever could be deduced from this log. In these cases there was a normal sequence of events 6005, 6009, 6006 before event 1008 happened.

What could be the cause in these latter cases?

And when will there be a next version of SS, that does not show the annoying habit of the former cases?

SS will be very useful for our courses for senior citizens, but not, when at unexpected moments all changes have been wiped out.

Kind regards,

Wout

Friday, February 6, 2009 6:44 PM

Answers

•  

Thank you for the feedback. Wout, can this issue be re-pro under certain condition? Based on the current symptom, we cannot determine the main cause of it. Also, I'd like to inform you that we have noticed this potential issue in Windows Disk Protection and we will post related information in this forum, though we do not clearly know when it will be officially released.  

I'd like to thank you for the valuable feedback regarding WDP and SteadyState to help us making the product better.

Sean Zhu - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by Wout259 Sunday, February 15, 2009 1:18 PM
    Tuesday, February 10, 2009 7:04 AM

All replies

•  

Thank you for the feedback. Wout, can this issue be re-pro under certain condition? Based on the current symptom, we cannot determine the main cause of it. Also, I'd like to inform you that we have noticed this potential issue in Windows Disk Protection and we will post related information in this forum, though we do not clearly know when it will be officially released.  

I'd like to thank you for the valuable feedback regarding WDP and SteadyState to help us making the product better.

Sean Zhu - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by Wout259 Sunday, February 15, 2009 1:18 PM
    Tuesday, February 10, 2009 7:04 AM
  • Thanks Sean for your answer,

It is impossible to reproduce this event. We have about 10 courses per week, a lot of students and several instructors. Impossible to monitor all they are doing.

In three instances the cause could be deduced to incorrectly shutting down (taking the current off) or (probably) pushing the on/off button a second time during start-up.

In one case the 1008 event was mentioned, but no cause could be found.

In one case even the 1008 event was not mentioned, but still SS had switched to discarding all changes at restart.

I hope the development team will repair this bad habit very very soon, because it makes SS almost of no use for us.

Greetings,

Wout

Sunday, February 15, 2009 1:26 PM