Windows XP Help RRS feed

• Question

• My computer shut down yesterday, and now I can not get Windows to start. I have tried powering it on and holding F8, nothing happends. If I hold F2 or F10 when powering up I get the bios setup screen and thats all. Any idea how I can start in safe mode to save all my files and then maybe to a restore command? This is a business laptop and I have a ton of files saved I really need.

Thanks!

Sunday, December 19, 2010 5:17 PM

All replies

• Take it to your IT department, if it is a business laptop is part of their job description to fix it and recover your files.

Or take the hard drive out plug it in another machine with an USB adapter and then save your files or recover them with a disk recovery tool. Ontrack recovery, Recuva, and so on.

Try booting of the Windows XP CD-ROM and select the recovery console. There try to type help in the Command prompt to see the list of commands available to you.

But you should try fixmbr, fixboot and there is another command related to the boot. but you can find it by typing help.

Good Luck.

Please do not forget to select the best answer if it helps you! The Ultimate computer newbie guide since the discovery of spoon feeding! The Computer Manual dot Com
    Sunday, February 6, 2011 4:00 PM