none
Exchange 2007 server quietly adding BCC recepients RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We are facing issue where by users send emails to only selected recepients but a lot of other people end up receiving the email, that was not intented for them.

For example, in outlook 2003 client it only shows 3 recepients, but the message goes 50 odd users. Message tracking shows the same 50 odd users. It is buffling me as to how the users being added?

I checked the delegates and rules on the 3 intended recepients, I thought may be one of them has a DL in their delegates list but thats not the case. And its deffinately not mistakenly being added my users as multiple users reported this issue.

Any advise on where to start will be much appreciated.

Exchange 2007 SP3 (8.3.0083.006)

Wednesday, April 24, 2013 8:52 AM

Answers

• I would try disabling that transport rule just to see if that could be causing issues.  Do you have any journaling or archiving enabled on the server side or had it enabled at one point?  Was this a fresh Exchange 2003 install or was it upgraded or migrated from another exchange version or email server platform?

The group of people that are receiving the BCC emails, are they all members of a particular distribution list?  If they are, you could try to restrict sending to that distribution list and see if an NDR is generated that could give you more information on what might be causing it. 

Also does this happen when emails are sent to anyone, one particular user or when certain users are sent messages?

Wednesday, April 24, 2013 2:47 PM

All replies

• Have you checked for any transport rules created for this in Exchange Server?

Regards from ExchangeOnline | Windows Administrator's Area

Wednesday, April 24, 2013 10:02 AM
  • Hi, Thanks for your reply.

I did check the transport rules EMC, but these nothing there, except one rule that send a phishing alert a email addres and bcc a email contact.

Wednesday, April 24, 2013 1:40 PM
  • I would try disabling that transport rule just to see if that could be causing issues.  Do you have any journaling or archiving enabled on the server side or had it enabled at one point?  Was this a fresh Exchange 2003 install or was it upgraded or migrated from another exchange version or email server platform?

The group of people that are receiving the BCC emails, are they all members of a particular distribution list?  If they are, you could try to restrict sending to that distribution list and see if an NDR is generated that could give you more information on what might be causing it. 

Also does this happen when emails are sent to anyone, one particular user or when certain users are sent messages?

Wednesday, April 24, 2013 2:47 PM