IE and email graphics slow to download RRS feed

• Question

• I have been have a problem for the last couple of weeks with internet explorer & remote desktop connections timing out on all our Win 7 machines. (I also tried Safari and got the same result) We don’t have any XP machines so I’m not sure if it is win 7 or the server (SBS 08). When you tell outlook  (2010) to download the graphics in an email advertisement (say from staples) it hangs longer than usual to bring them in. I have also noticed that when running remote desktop connections to various offices, I get timed out and I can see the RDP client trying to reconnect, which it does. On a 30 min. connection I might have it happen 2 or 3 times which until recently has never happened since we installed SBS 08 (on its RTM) & Win 7 last year. The biggest problem is when downloading web pages from the internet. When you click on a website it can take 15-45 sec to load and sometime the layout doesn’t load all the graphics and you have to refresh in order for it to load properly. It doesn’t happen all the time but it is most of the time. The worst part is when I skim a newsletter email that click on 6 or 7 hyperlinks within 30 sec. The first one or two may load correctly but the rest will time out with page cannot be displayed. If you refresh those pages one by one they will load but some of them may have to be refreshed 2 or three times. In contrast I haven’t noticed any issues downloading files although I don’t do that a lot and I haven’t noticed any issues streaming video (HD movie trailers or YouTube videos). This seems to be an issue on all workstations but the server seems to be ok in brief testing, in fairness though we don’t do enough to really count the server one way or the other. When I run a speed test on my bandwidth (speakeasy) it shows my download at 17MBPS as it should be. We have also ran Malware scanners (Superantispyware) on all the workstations and didn’t find anything. Can anyone offer any suggestions? Any help would be appreciated.

Robert Wiggins

Tuesday, August 24, 2010 3:13 PM

Answers

All replies

• Auto-Tuning was involved since Windows Vista.

The Cable Guy TCP Receive Window Auto-Tuning

However auto tuning may encounter issues with some firewalls, including hardware and software firewalls. In some cases, the issue does not occur when disabling Auto-Tuning.

Network connectivity fails when you try to use Windows Vista behind a firewall device 

In Windows 7, to disable Auto-Tuning, please follow the steps under “Let me fix it myself” in above KB article.

Please let us know if it could resolve the issue. 

Arthur Xie
    TechNet Subscriber Support in forum
    If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Marked as answer by cmtbob Friday, August 27, 2010 6:18 PM
    Wednesday, August 25, 2010 8:48 AM
  • thanks for the response, we found a program that was running on one of the machines that was sucking the bandwidth. Once that was removed it seems to be working correctly.
    Friday, August 27, 2010 6:17 PM