Windows 8.1 update and brightness control RRS feed

• Question

• I have a DELL XPS L521X with Windows 8.1 (I had windows 8 some days ago) and I have had two problems:

1) I did not allow Windows to upgrade to 8.1 and it forced me to do it. It gave me 15 minutes to save progress and do it. I was watching the NBA finals on my computer and it was the only thing I had to watch the game. The installation lasted the whole second half the game and I WAS NOT ABLE TO WATCH IT DUE TO THIS, YOU CAN IMAGINE HOW I AM FEELING ABOUT NOT USING WINDOWS EVER AGAIN... How can I prevent it from ever upgrading anything without my consent? I had already turned off updates from Control Panel\System and Security\Windows Update but it didn't help.

2) My brightness control became broken after the 8.1 update. I had to manually pick the older Intel HD 4000 driver to have it working again or else my eyes would stop functioning after such a bright display. I had to switch to the 9.17 driver version from September 2012. Where can I get the lastest WORKING version of the driver?

Please stop making me loose days fixing Windows issues... 

• Edited by fersarr Saturday, June 14, 2014 1:57 PM
    Saturday, June 14, 2014 1:54 PM

Answers

• Hi,

We have set the GP to disable Windows 8.1 update in Windows store, you can check it here:

How to Disable “Update to Windows 8.1 for Free” Notification in Windows 8 Store?
    http://www.askvg.com/how-to-disable-update-to-windows-8-1-for-free-notification-in-windows-8-store/

For your second issue, it's not only related to Windows, but also the driver provider. Microsoft is working together with the device manufacturers and partners to deliver update package and try the best to solve the compatible issue and bring a great improvement on user experience. But you know, it will take some time.

Thanks for your understanding.

Kate Li
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Cloud_TS Monday, June 23, 2014 11:57 AM
    Monday, June 16, 2014 9:38 AM

All replies

• press windows+x and select mobility center

from there you can adjust the brightness as desired

Corsair Carbide 300R with window
    Corsair TX850V2 70A@12V
    Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0 CFX/SLI
    AMD Phenom II 965 C3 Black Edition @ 4.0 GHz
    G.SKILL RipjawsX DDR3-2133 8 GB
    EVGA GTX 6600 Ti FTW Signature 2(Gk104 Kepler)
    Asus PA238QR IPS LED HDMI DP 1080p
    ST2000DM001 & Windows 8.1 Enterprise x64
    Microsoft Wireless Desktop 2000
    Wacom Bamboo CHT470M
    Place your rig specifics into your signature like I have, makes it 100x easier to understand!

Hardcore Games Legendary is the Only Way to Play!

Saturday, June 14, 2014 2:29 PM
  • press windows+x and select mobility center

from there you can adjust the brightness as desired

You've missed the entire point here. The OP isn't asking how to access the brightness control, he's stating that after upgrading to Windows 8.1 the brightness control wasn't working until he downgraded the video driver. He's not the first person to report this issue, and you've been involved in some of the previous threads so you should presumably be aware of the issue.

Sunday, June 15, 2014 8:18 AM
  • I upgraded my windows 7 netbook to 8.1 fine and the brightness controls all work, keyboard and mobility center

guess dell has more issues than hp for deploying a new version of windows

Corsair Carbide 300R with window
    Corsair TX850V2 70A@12V
    Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0 CFX/SLI
    AMD Phenom II 965 C3 Black Edition @ 4.0 GHz
    G.SKILL RipjawsX DDR3-2133 8 GB
    EVGA GTX 6600 Ti FTW Signature 2(Gk104 Kepler)
    Asus PA238QR IPS LED HDMI DP 1080p
    ST2000DM001 & Windows 8.1 Enterprise x64
    Microsoft Wireless Desktop 2000
    Wacom Bamboo CHT470M
    Place your rig specifics into your signature like I have, makes it 100x easier to understand!

Hardcore Games Legendary is the Only Way to Play!

Sunday, June 15, 2014 6:55 PM
  • I upgraded my windows 7 netbook to 8.1 fine and the brightness controls all work, keyboard and mobility center

guess dell has more issues than hp for deploying a new version of windows

This has nothing at all to do with Dell versus HP, it is an Intel video driver issue.
    Monday, June 16, 2014 8:09 AM
  • Hi,

We have set the GP to disable Windows 8.1 update in Windows store, you can check it here:

How to Disable “Update to Windows 8.1 for Free” Notification in Windows 8 Store?
    http://www.askvg.com/how-to-disable-update-to-windows-8-1-for-free-notification-in-windows-8-store/

For your second issue, it's not only related to Windows, but also the driver provider. Microsoft is working together with the device manufacturers and partners to deliver update package and try the best to solve the compatible issue and bring a great improvement on user experience. But you know, it will take some time.

Thanks for your understanding.

Kate Li
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Cloud_TS Monday, June 23, 2014 11:57 AM
    Monday, June 16, 2014 9:38 AM