none
Shortcut and pdf files in the Desktop folder disappear on wakeup from sleep mode. RRS feed

• Question

• Win 7 x64 ultimate, MS Security Essentials

About half of my desktop shortcuts and half of the pdf files stored in the Desktop folder disappeared when my PC woke from sleep mode. The shortcuts all reference folders on local disks. I had this happen to only shortcuts several years ago.

Huh?

Monday, January 20, 2014 9:18 PM

Answers

• Hi,

We could run sfc /scannow to check and repair if there is some corrupted system file.

Please run powercfg /lastwake and powercfg /energy commands to see if there is any clue.

Also, please check Event Log: Go to Start -> type Event Viewer -> check the "Power-Troubleshooter" entries in "Windows Logs – System".

Karen Hu
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, February 6, 2014 8:50 AM

All replies

• Hi,

This can happen if the the System Maintenance troubleshooter detects the shutcuts as broken.

To workaround this issue, use one of the following methods:

Method 1: Remove all but 4 broken shortcuts from your desktop

Method 2: Disable the System Maintenance troubleshooter

For more information, please refer to this article:

Desktop shortcuts disappear in Windows 7

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/978980

Karen Hu

Tuesday, January 21, 2014 9:25 AM
  • I never have any broken shortcuts on my desktop. Period. That also doesn't explain why plain PDF files disappeared - about eight of them.

"Maintenance" software should not delete files without approval.

Just ran disk check and 8 hour full MSE scan - no issues.

BTW, up until a few years ago, each time I updated the NVIDIA driver, the location of perhaps 20% of the desktop icons would randomly be scrambled and I would tediously have to move them back in place. That hasn't happened during the last several driver updates, but how icon location information can be lost during a video driver update is a mystery.

This time I disabled the "Maintenance" software.

Tuesday, January 21, 2014 4:19 PM
  • Hi Bob,

Did the desktop shorcut and file lose after wakeup from sleep or update a video driver?

Karen Hu

Friday, January 24, 2014 9:43 AM
  • After wakeup from sleep.

I can say more regarding wakeup from sleep. I Sleep the PC at the end of the day, and wakeup when I arrive in the morning. Typically, I can repeat this cycle for 14 - 21 times, then, on waking weird stuff begins to happen. Most often it doesn't wakeup, it just boots up same as if it was powered on from power-off state. Less frequently the window frames don't repaint correctly. For example, I always have the task manager running in minimize mode. If I maximize it in this weird state there will be a black square somewhere in the task manager window. Sometimes the translucent border of a window will be completely black ( the upper right red X will be all black ). When I see this weird video I know the next sleep often does not wakeup, but reboots. I have also noticed when I sleep/wakeup with large processes, e.g. 1.5gb, the weird state happens with fewer cycles. 

Friday, January 24, 2014 4:03 PM
  • Hi,

We could run sfc /scannow to check and repair if there is some corrupted system file.

Please run powercfg /lastwake and powercfg /energy commands to see if there is any clue.

Also, please check Event Log: Go to Start -> type Event Viewer -> check the "Power-Troubleshooter" entries in "Windows Logs – System".

Karen Hu

Thursday, February 6, 2014 8:50 AM
  • Ok, the power troubleshooter only has mouse wakeup events, as I expect is correct.

The other two:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
    Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32>powercfg /energy
    Enabling tracing for 60 seconds...
    Observing system behavior...
    Analyzing trace data...
    Analysis complete.

Energy efficiency problems were found.

5 Errors
    6 Warnings
    13 Informational

See C:\Windows\system32\energy-report.html for more details.

C:\Windows\system32>sfc /scannow

Beginning system scan.  This process will take some time.

Beginning verification phase of system scan.
    Verification 100% complete.
    Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of th
    em.
    Details are included in the CBS.Log windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For example
    C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log

C:\Windows\system32>

---------------------------------------------------

Errors in the energy-report:

Power Policy:Sleep timeout is disabled (Plugged In)
    The computer is not configured to automatically sleep after a period of inactivity.
    System Availability Requests:System Required Request
    The service has made a request to prevent the system from automatically entering sleep.
    Requesting Service AcrSch2Svc

System Availability Requests:System Required Request

The device or driver has made a request to prevent the system from automatically entering sleep.
    Driver Name \FileSystem\srvnet

USB Suspend:USB Device not Entering Suspend

The USB device did not enter the Suspend state.  Processor power management may be prevented if a USB device does not enter the Suspend state when not in use.
    Device Name Microsoft Hardware USB Wireless Mouse
    Host Controller ID PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_036C
    Host Controller Location PCI bus 0, device 2, function 0
    Device ID USB\VID_045E&PID_00E1
    Port Path 8

USB Suspend:USB Device not Entering Suspend

The USB device did not enter the Suspend state.  Processor power management may be prevented if a USB device does not enter the Suspend state when not in use.
    Device Name USB Root Hub
    Host Controller ID PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_036C
    Host Controller Location PCI bus 0, device 2, function 0
    Device ID USB\VID_10DE&PID_036C
    Port Path

-------------------------------------------------------------------

CBS.log is huge and unclear where to find what the summary called unrepairable.

Saturday, February 22, 2014 1:34 AM