none
Install Operating System step run twice RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

Does anyone know why Install Operating System step run twice? The second time will hang on 20% for a while.

Tuesday, August 22, 2017 8:41 AM

All replies

• Hi,

look in you Tasksequence.Is there a second Install Operating System Step?

Delete the second one!

Bis dann, Toni! Wenn Dir meine Antwort hilft dann markiere sie bitte als Antwort! Vielen Dank!

Tuesday, August 22, 2017 12:36 PM
  • Hi Toni,

No. I only have one step. It happened on Windows 10 deployment.

Wednesday, August 23, 2017 12:48 AM
  • Can you post your bdd.log file please?

Bis dann, Toni! Wenn Dir meine Antwort hilft dann markiere sie bitte als Antwort! Vielen Dank!

Wednesday, August 23, 2017 5:30 AM
  • I think you may be referring to the second install operating system as the packages install. If you have any packages that are configured to install during deployment they will do so after installing the OS however if the name isnt changed for that step it will show as installing OS rather than installing package KB22222 for example. 
    • Proposed as answer by tonibert Thursday, August 24, 2017 2:15 PM
    Wednesday, August 23, 2017 1:03 PM
  • Hi Liamsy,

I think so. First round step is expanding the WIM, the second time is applying update packages and patches.

Will try to delete packages and test the result.

Thanks.

Thursday, August 24, 2017 6:36 AM
  • I had some of my TS's repeat the OS install step. Obviously, there was only one step doing so.

It didn't happen to all of them, only a few. I ended up disabling the Apply Updates step and everything went as expected after that.

• Proposed as answer by tonibert Thursday, August 24, 2017 2:15 PM
    Thursday, August 24, 2017 1:41 PM
  • The thing about the apply packages step is that it will try to apply ALL language packs, features on demand, updates and hotfixes you have under Packages. Reason: a new task sequence is configured to use „All packages“ selection profile. Since DISM will try to apply all packages, the process will take a long time - depending on how your deployment share is built, you may end up trying to apply x86 updates on a x64 system, Windows 7 updates on Windows 10 systems - you get the idea.

As a workaround you will need to work with selection profiles to limit the scope of the apply packages step. I tend to create selection profiles for various OS’s and then limit the scrope only to applicable updates. To achieve this, you can create a logical folder structure under Packages tab: For example:

Windows 10 1703
    ..x64 Updates
    ..x86 Updates
    ..Language Packs

To apply language packs I use CustomSettings.ini Please let me know if I should elaborate more on the selection profiles and / or how to dynamically apply language packs in MDT.

Friday, August 25, 2017 8:16 AM