none
Backup Resource Assignment RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I created my project plan and resources. But on my current project, I have a primary and a backup resource for each task.

So, I want to assign those tasks for both of the resources while if one of them enter an update like %50 completion will be reflected as %50 completion rather than %25.

Is it possible ? or any advice to manage this problem.

Best regards,

Ozay

Thursday, October 11, 2018 8:24 AM

Answers

• Hi,

I don't know anybody interested about this question but I solve it via a stupid work around. 

I assigned the back-up as a delegate to main user. When back-up needed to close some tasks, just activating delegation session and making the changes. 

Best regards,

Ozay

• Marked as answer by Moonfall Thursday, June 20, 2019 9:26 AM
    Thursday, June 20, 2019 9:26 AM

All replies

• Where are you doing the update, via the timesheet, my tasks or MS Project?

Ben Howard [MVP] | web | blog | book | downloads | P2O

Thursday, October 11, 2018 6:06 PM
  • Hi,

I am planing to receive updates via my tasks menu. 

Thanks,

Ozay

Friday, October 12, 2018 8:13 AM
  • Hi Ozay,

This isn't possible, as MS Project isn't to know that one is a backup resource.  The way around this is once the primary resource has completed the task, then remove the backup resource from the task, or set the remaining work to zero.  Both of these actions can be completed either via the web or MS Project.  

Ben Howard [MVP] | web | blog | book | downloads | P2O

Friday, October 12, 2018 8:29 AM
  • Hi Ben,

Your solution will keep me check after every update on the plan which will kill me with 3 parallel project with 2500 x 3 tasks :) updated from 20 people.  

I tried that way at least for showing both user the tasks in the plan. 

- Assign task both of them while primary user has %100 assignment, backup has %0 assignment. 

Then, primary user close a task with entering %100 and I published it which seeing 100% and approval list. But the system updated the task as %99 completed. 

I think the system continue to think, %0 assignment should need to enter something. 

I found that team assignment solution on the net Maybe it can help me somehow to automatize the problem. 

Also, I am currently updating the custom fields manually every time when they updated via tasks. Which I found after implement Project online. :(

Thanks

Ozay 

Friday, October 12, 2018 2:46 PM
  • Hi,

I don't know anybody interested about this question but I solve it via a stupid work around. 

I assigned the back-up as a delegate to main user. When back-up needed to close some tasks, just activating delegation session and making the changes. 

Best regards,

Ozay

• Marked as answer by Moonfall Thursday, June 20, 2019 9:26 AM
    Thursday, June 20, 2019 9:26 AM