OSD Migration Question RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hi All,

we are in a process of migrate SCCM 2007 SP2 R3 to SCCM 2012 R2, I am having some queries on OSD migration,

1. We are using MDT Custom boot image in SCCM 2007 (MDT 2008) (Customized the boot image to ask for computer name and show options to select OS Type), Now the problem is, since SCCM 2012 didn't support MDT 2008 how could we migrate the MDT custom Boot image to SCCM 2012?  will it work if i just create a boot image in 2012 using the old .win file?

2. we are using more than 60 task sequences where the TS are integrated with MDT 2008, how could we migrate the TS without remove the MDT step?

- The 2007 boot image has more than 100 network/storage drivers added to it, so its very hard to create a new boot image and make it work in 2012, more over the MDT custom settings in the boot image are not done by me, if want to create a new boot image for 2012 i have to do all the custom setting like the old boot image which i don't know how to do :(

• Changed type Kalyan Sundar Wednesday, January 7, 2015 8:18 AM No Response
    Wednesday, January 7, 2015 6:27 AM

All replies

• #1: integrate MDT 2012, create boot images and add all mofications manually. 

#2: 60 task sequences? That much. Why have you created so much? 

You will have to re-do most of the work manually unfortunately. 

Torsten Meringer | http://www.mssccmfaq.de

Wednesday, January 7, 2015 10:04 AM
  • Thanks for your update Torsten,

For Task Sequence, each site having different models and different image files, so we are in a situation to manage multiple task sequences.  (Also Auto Apply options not work due to some bad drivers in catalog).

I am new to MDT? Regarding the MDT Customization with boot image, what are the changes need to do in boot image if we have a combined OS (x86 and x64)?

Wednesday, January 7, 2015 11:48 AM
  • For Task Sequence, each site having different models and different image files, so we are in a situation to manage multiple task sequences.  (Also Auto Apply options not work due to some bad drivers in catalog).

Why does everyone have their own image? Images should generally be very thin and common across *all* systems deployed and be completely hardware agnostic -- that's the point of the driver tasks. That's the beauty of OSD and task sequences -- you layer on the difference after the image is deployed using dynamic rules and conditions. You may as well be using Ghost.

As for Auto Apply drivers, that's why many folks don't use it. Most folks have gravitated toward using Apply Driver Package tasks that apply the drivers for a specific model using a conditional.

What's a combined OS? Do you mean a single WIM with both x86 and x64 in it?

Jason | http://blog.configmgrftw.com | @jasonsandys

Wednesday, January 7, 2015 2:08 PM
  • I agree with Torsten and Jason.

Honestly, if you have 60 task sequences with seperate images and hardware models, you need to do a migration first to a more dynamic deployment model. You can control which image and hardware is selected with conditions in your task sequence or the MDT database.

I would not recommend migrating all 60 task sequences to your new environment, you will basically be recreating them from scratch and doing alot of duplicate work.

Basically, everything you have stated thus far could be made much simpler and dynamic by re-engineering your deployment model.

Daniel Ratliff | http://www.PotentEngineer.com

Wednesday, January 7, 2015 4:44 PM
  • Thanks for your update Jason,

Its not like we are using different image for each site, we are updating our base image every year, we distribute our updated image to most of the sites (15 GB), due to network issue, we can't update the latest image for few site. so we are using 3 different boot image and 3 OS images. 

During the migration i take a opportunity and reduce the task sequences.

Yes, we are using single .wim for both x86 and x64, what are the things i need to do in boot image to support this .wim file?

I really appreciate your help on this.

Thursday, January 8, 2015 4:50 AM
  • Definitely i am going to rework on task sequence part.

For Low bandwidth site i have to manage a separate task sequences, since we are using multiple models, i can't distribute all driver package to remote site where there is an low bandwidth.   If i want to use a single task sequence i have to make all the task sequence objects available in all DPs.  for example if i am create a HP driver package i have to distribute it to all DP where some sites never use HP models.

Now my main question is how to create a boot image with MDT that supports our OS file (.wim) and all models.

• Edited by Kalyan Sundar Thursday, January 8, 2015 5:01 AM spell check
    Thursday, January 8, 2015 5:00 AM
  • There is basically no connection between the boot file(s) and the OS to be deployed (exception: the architectures have to match when deploying to UEFI devices). So you just need 2 boot images (x86 and x64) with the appropriate drivers. 

Torsten Meringer | http://www.mssccmfaq.de

Thursday, January 8, 2015 6:53 AM
  • I really don't know how the boot image currently configured.  but we are using a single boot image for both x86 and x64 architectures. before select the task sequence i got a popup and its asking for x86 OS or x64 OS to select. I want to know how this works and i want to make this same in SCCM 2012 environment.

In the task sequence we have one image package and 2 image file one is for x86 and another one for x64.

Thursday, January 8, 2015 12:31 PM