WSUS Downstream servers reporting problems RRS feed

• Question

• I have an upstream WSUS server with 5 replica downstream servers - synchronisation is scheduled to occur during the night and is successful and the last synchronised and last rollup reports as completed successfully but the Installed/Not Applicable Percentage for 2 of the 3 downstream servers is showing 0%

I assume there is a problem here

On the downstream servers that are not reporting a percentage here I can see some errors in the softwaredistribution.log file which may be relevant

2017-03-13 05:00:15.762 UTC Error WsusService.26 SoapUtilities.LogException USS ThrowException: Actor = , Method = ?, ID=00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000, ErrorCode=InternalServerError, Message=
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.SoapUtilities.LogException(SoapException e)

2017-03-13 05:00:15.764 UTC Error WsusService.26 RollupEventReporter.RollupComputerStatus RollupComputerStatus cant be retried. Exception: System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapException: There was an exception running the extensions specified in the config file. ---> Maximum request length exceeded.

2017-03-13 05:00:15.766 UTC Error WsusService.26 UpdateServicesRollup.DoRollup Failed to rollup DSS information. Exception=System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapException: There was an exception running the extensions specified in the config file. ---> Maximum request length exceeded.

The 3 replica servers that are reporting a percentage do not have IIS installed and are using port 80.

The 2 servers that are not reporting a percentage are using IIS7 and are using port 8530

This is a setup I have inherited so did not do the initial install but How do I resolve this issue?

Thanks Brian

Monday, March 13, 2017 9:57 AM

All replies

• Hi BrianKellett,

>There was an exception running the extensions specified in the config file. ---> Maximum request length exceeded.

Please increase the "MAXREQUESTLENGTH" both on downstream WSUS server and upstream WSUS server, check if it could help.

In C:\Program Files\Update Services\WebServices\ServerSyncWebService, open "Web.config" with notepad, then find "MAXREQUESTLENGTH", then increase the limit size.

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, March 14, 2017 6:28 AM
  • Thanks Anne He - I changed this from 100 kbytes to 200 kbytes on both upstream and downstream servers and synchronised again from the downstream server but I still get the same error messages in the log file - is there a recommended size for this setting or do I need to do anything else before this takes effect?
    Tuesday, March 14, 2017 8:54 AM
  • Hi BrianKellett,

With the default setting "100" kbytes, the downstream WSUS server could report to upstream WSUS server successfully. So, seems no recommended size for this setting.

If the issue remains, please also run Server Cleanup Wizard on both WSUS server and increase Private Memory Limit on IIS, check if it could help:

Best Regards,

Anne

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, March 16, 2017 9:12 AM
  • Hi,

Just to check if you got any progress with the issue? Could the above reply be of help? Welcome to feedback.

Best Regards,

Anne

Wednesday, March 22, 2017 2:31 AM
  • I changed the Private Memory Pool setting on upstream and down stream servers - and I also increased again the max request queue length but it is still generating the same errors
    Thursday, March 23, 2017 3:25 PM
  • I had another look this morning and the errors I reported previously in the softwaredistribution log have stopped - all messages in the last 24 hours are mostly info there are 2 change messages and one warning

Warning WsusService.26 DBConnection.OnReceivingInfoMessage  Null value is eliminated by an aggregate or other SET operation.

But the status of the downstream server on the upstream server still indicates 0% Installed / Not Applicable

Friday, March 24, 2017 9:58 AM
  • Hi BrianKellett,

Just to check if you got any progress with the issue? If still not, you may try re-build the downstream WSUS server, check if it could help.

If you still want to troubleshoot the issue deeply, you may open a case with MS, so that you may get more professional help:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/gp/support-options-for-business

Best Regards,

Anne

Thursday, March 30, 2017 5:57 AM
  • I know this thread is old, but I would suggest you run my cleanup script on the upstream AND downstream servers. My script does wonders with WSUS and usually fixes most issues.

Have a peek at my Adamj Clean-WSUS script. It is the last WSUS Script you will ever need.

http://community.spiceworks.com/scripts/show/2998-adamj-clean-wsus

What it does:

1. Remove all Drivers from the WSUS Database.
    2. Shrink your WSUSContent folder's size by declining superseded updates.
    3. Remove declined updates from the WSUS Database.
    4. Clean out all the synchronization logs that have built up over time (configurable, with the default keeping the last 14 days of logs).
    5. Compress Update Revisions.
    6. Remove Obsolete Updates.
    7. Computer Object Cleanup (configurable, with the default of deleting computer objects that have not synced within 30 days).
    8. Application Pool Memory Configuration to display the current private memory limit and easily increase it by any configurable amount.
    9. Run the Recommended SQL database Maintenance script on the actual SQL database.
    10. Run the Server Cleanup Wizard.

It will email the report out to you or save it to a file, or both.

Although the script is lengthy, it has been made to be super easy to setup and use. There are some prerequisites and instructions at the top of the script. After installing the prerequisites and configuring the variables for your environment, simply run:

.\Clean-WSUS.ps1 -FirstRun

and then

.\Clean-WSUS.ps1 -InstallTask

If you wish to view or increase the Application Pool Memory Configuration, you must run it with the required switch. See Get-Help .\Clean-WSUS.ps1 -Examples

If you're having trouble, there's also a -HelpMe option that will create a log so you can send it to me for support.

Sunday, May 14, 2017 3:13 AM
  • Hello
    in our case I had to edit another file on the central WSUS server and restart IIS to solve the "maximum request lenght exceeded" error:

"C:\Program Files\Update Services\WebServices\ReportingWebService\Web.config"

<!-- MAXREQUESTLENGTH
            Limit the size of incoming requests to 2000 kbytes.
       -->
       <httpRuntime maxRequestLength="5000" />

I didn't change anything on the replica servers!

regards

Monday, June 12, 2017 10:07 AM