problems clicking windows RRS feed

• Question

• My issue began about two weeks ago.  Many times when I attempt to switch from one window to another, nothing a happens.  If I do control alt delete and simply choose task manager, then just close it, all is well for a short time and I can click on the window I want.  In addition to this issue, Vista randomly quits or loses the desktop.  Not sure what is going on.  I have McAfee and have used Onecare and Koblansky or something to perform virus scans online.  Thank you for any help you may provide.

Wednesday, June 18, 2008 2:04 AM

All replies

•  

Hello Abs1,

"Vista randomly quits or loses the desktop" means there is some application/utlity/or malware program that forces the explorer.exe to quit, or there is some in-appropriate software/update installed at your system, that is cauing troubles to explorer.exe

The above problem has also seen when you removes service pack from Windows. So if you have done anything like that then please explain here in details what all you have done.

Regards,

ErSehmi

Wednesday, June 25, 2008 10:29 AM
  • Around the same time this occured I did see some things that mentioned the service pack was being installed.  I assumed this was an automatic download from microsoft.  Other than that, I have done nothing.  It is really annoying problem.  For a few minutes the computer functions normally and then I can't click the windows until I start task manager.  Thank you and any further input is much appreciated.

Saturday, June 28, 2008 8:22 PM
  • Hi abs1,

I got one suggestion for that. When the computer is working fine ( I means when you successfully able to click on windows). At that time open the Windows Task Manager and find out how many processes are working in the system. Just note down their count. And also do the same when the computer freezes. Now match the count of processes now with the earlier value. If there is a change in the count. Then you easily find who is the culprit process.

Regards,

ErSehmi

Monday, June 30, 2008 9:29 AM
  • Hi abs1,

I have seen the same issue that you are describing, and I believe that the problem may be a malware. I have seen the same issue with Windows XP Pro, then Windows Vista  Ultimate 64 bits and latter Windows 7 Ultimate RC1 64 bits.

Then thing is that a friend of mine saw the same situation in a laptop.  And he didn't knew the task manager trick, until now that I told him just a couple of days. After every clean Windows install I just noticed that the problem was over. But as soon as I started adding the other hard drives and some programs without using and antivirus first, the problem my start again. Nobody else in my home suffers from this problem so I guess it is in my hard drives, and it is not a worm. If you have any solution available after almost a year with this problem, it would be nice if you post it here or those in the same situation.

Regards,

Platemoon

Saturday, June 20, 2009 4:50 AM