none
Windows 2008R2 - Windows Update Disable by System Administrator

Question

• I have a Windows 2008 R2 Server in a domain that has it's Windows Updates disabled.  My predecessor did not believe in them...  It is the only server in the domain that has Windows Update disabled and for the life of me I can not find where it is disabled.  I have looked in the Group Policies and in the Local Polices and can't find the offending policy.

Any suggestions where to look would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Rob

Thursday, March 16, 2017 2:59 PM

All replies

• > Any suggestions where to look would be greatly appreciated.

Regedit - delete [HKLM|HKCU]\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate if it is present.

Thursday, March 16, 2017 4:33 PM
  • Thanks for the response, unfortunately it didn't resolve the issue.

Rob

Friday, March 17, 2017 12:54 PM
  • Hi Rob,
    Please have a try:
    1. Search for the following key
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREPoliciesMicrosoftWindowsWindowsUpdate
    2. Then on right side pan look for the key: DisableWindowsUpdateAccess
    3. If this doesn’t exist, create one by right clicking and chose dword value, 32/64 bit as per your OS.
    4. Rename this key with this name (DisableWindowsUpdateAccess)
    5. Modify this registry with value 00000001
    6. Restart your computer
    Best regards,
    Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Tuesday, March 21, 2017 2:52 AM
  • Hi Rob,

I am checking how the issue is going, if you still have any questions, please feel free to contact us.

And if the replies as above are helpful, we would appreciate you to mark them as answers, and if you resolve it using your own solution, please share your experience and solution here. It will be greatly helpful to others who have the same question.

Appreciate for your feedback.

Best regards,

Wendy

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Friday, March 24, 2017 8:24 AM
  • Thanks for the advice, although it didn't resolve the issue.  I am feeling more that it is a stuck policy since it has now spread to another server as well.

Rob

Wednesday, March 29, 2017 1:31 PM
  • Hi Rob,
    Generally, we could disable windows update by the following methods in group policy:
    1. Configure policy under Computer configuration, policies, Administrative templates, Windows Components, Windows Update
    2. Configure the registry as below in the GPP:
    3. Use logon script in the GPO to disable windows update.
    You could go through one by one GPO in your domain to check if one of the 3 methods is configured.
    Best regards, 
    Wendy

Monday, April 3, 2017 3:05 AM