How to setup VPN in Windows 10 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, I am trying to setup a VPN on Windows 10. I am using the built-in VPN. What do I enter for "Server or Address?" I am at my Home PC, so I don't know about "Server" and I already tried my "IP Address." What should I enter? Please respond. Thanks
    Wednesday, September 2, 2015 6:53 PM

Answers

• On Thu, 3 Sep 2015 05:20:35 +0000, mike98765 wrote:

Hi, I am trying to setup a VPN for anonymity. I tried 8.8.8.8 but it didn't work. Any ideas?

You don't understand what a VPN is. At your end, you have a VPN client, in
    this case the client built into Windows 10. At the other end, there needs
    to be a VPN server and you need to know either the IP address or the FQDN
    of that server and you also need to have an account on that server. You
    can't just throw some numbers into the client and expect anything to work.
    FWIW the IP address you're using is one of Google's DNS servers, it is not
    a VPN server.

Google for "public VPN server". You might also want to look at Tor:

https://www.torproject.org/

Paul Adare - Directory Services (MIM CM) MVP
    If my post answers your question, please mark it as an answer. I really
    don't care about the points, marking it as an answer may help someone else
    with the same problem. Thanks!

• Proposed as answer by Paul Adare Friday, September 4, 2015 8:50 PM
    • Marked as answer by Michael_LS Thursday, September 10, 2015 3:02 AM
    Thursday, September 3, 2015 5:32 AM

All replies

• On Wed, 2 Sep 2015 18:53:43 +0000, mike98765 wrote:

Hello, I am trying to setup a VPN on Windows 10. I am using the built-in VPN. What do I enter for "Server or Address?" I am at my Home PC, so I don't know about "Server" and I already tried my "IP Address." What should I enter? Please respond. Thanks

What is your goal here? Are you trying to connect to another server, or are you trying to setup your Windows 10 computer as a VPN server (which is not possible out of the box)?

If you are trying to connect to another server, then you need to enter the fully qualified domain name (server.domain.com for example) or the IP address of the server to which you're trying to connect.

Paul Adare - FIM CM MVP

Thursday, September 3, 2015 4:42 AM
  • Hi, I am trying to setup a VPN for anonymity. I tried 8.8.8.8 but it didn't work. Any ideas?
    Thursday, September 3, 2015 5:20 AM
  • On Thu, 3 Sep 2015 05:20:35 +0000, mike98765 wrote:

Hi, I am trying to setup a VPN for anonymity. I tried 8.8.8.8 but it didn't work. Any ideas?

You don't understand what a VPN is. At your end, you have a VPN client, in
    this case the client built into Windows 10. At the other end, there needs
    to be a VPN server and you need to know either the IP address or the FQDN
    of that server and you also need to have an account on that server. You
    can't just throw some numbers into the client and expect anything to work.
    FWIW the IP address you're using is one of Google's DNS servers, it is not
    a VPN server.

Google for "public VPN server". You might also want to look at Tor:

https://www.torproject.org/

Paul Adare - Directory Services (MIM CM) MVP
    If my post answers your question, please mark it as an answer. I really
    don't care about the points, marking it as an answer may help someone else
    with the same problem. Thanks!

• Proposed as answer by Paul Adare Friday, September 4, 2015 8:50 PM
    • Marked as answer by Michael_LS Thursday, September 10, 2015 3:02 AM
    Thursday, September 3, 2015 5:32 AM
  • Ok, Thanks for the help!
    • Proposed as answer by ZAH8DAR Wednesday, September 30, 2015 4:29 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by ZAH8DAR Wednesday, September 30, 2015 4:30 PM
    Friday, September 4, 2015 6:34 PM
  • I think this might be what you're looking for: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/edge-privacy-faq

Look for the link labeled "Can I user InPrivate mode in Microsoft Edge?" InPrivate mode is also available in IE 11 too.  I think what you're trying to accomplish is anonymous web browsing, which is totally different than what a VPN is used for. InPrivate mode will not track locally on your PC where you're browsing on the internet; so anyone else who uses your PC can't see where you've been.  If you're looking for completely anonymous browsing that masks your IP and all, then this isn't it either.  That's something else all together.

Remember to mark as helpful if you find my contribution useful or as an answer if it does answer your question.

Friday, September 4, 2015 7:04 PM
  • @ Paul~~

That's because 99% of 'us regular Joes' have absolutely no idea what a VPN (Virtual Private Network) actually is/does:

I've personally read numerous articles about "How a VPN secures your internet access", yet I still don't understand, due to the fact that nomenclatures are tossed out by IT professionals and we "regular Joes" who don't work in IT and are working this by the 'seat of our pants' simply DON'T UNDERSTAND THE JARGON OF WHAT THE HELL A VPN ACTUALLY DOES and DOES NOT DO FOR YOU.   

1) Is it a source of "planet wide free internet" without bounds or cost?  (That's one question I see over and over, yet it's NEVER answered).

2)  If I have a "VPN", why do I need my broadband cable at home?  Doesn't a VPN allow me to use the internet worldwide without geofencing restrictions? 

3)  Why isn't VPN pretty much "mandatory" for security purposes, if it keeps your "online stuff so secret"?

I pride myself in being a fairly intelligent individual, however, I can't seem to get the 'need for a VPN' at home when I don't travel or use my tablet/phone very often on other wireless networks. 

I'm in the medical field, and using a VPN is as foreign to me as telling you how to perform an appendectomy over the internet or telephone. 

Every time I read about a VPN online, the more confused I become.  The writers seem to think that we're all in IT support and that's around which our lives revolve.  Not quite true here. 

Saturday, August 27, 2016 4:24 PM
  • @Christopher715:

1. No.  A VPN requires you to have an existing internet service and all data still flows through that connection.

2. Yes.  See #1.

3. VPN certainly increases online security, but doesn't solve every security problem.

Let me see if I can explain the general idea in easier terms (note that there are caveats and rare exceptions to most of what I say here): A VPN connects two computers together with a secure connection.  Once that connection is established, the "client" computer (ie. yours), can talk to computers that are hooked up to the "server" computer (ie. the computer you connect to), exactly as if they were in the same location using the same network connection.  For example, you could create a VPN connection between your house and your neighbor's house, which would allow you to access your neighbor's computer, even though other people on the internet can't access your neighbor's computer.  The connection between the client and server is almost always a connection over the internet (but it doesn't have to be).  Most VPN setups (the ones you hear about for privacy) also allow the client computer to access the internet.  If the server can access the internet and you're on the same network, it makes sense that your computer could too--there are ways to prevent that, but they are not usually what most people are talking about when they use the term VPN.  A side effect of the secure connection is that the data sent and received by the client is protected from snooping by anyone on the network the client computer is on (even if that network's administrator wanted to snoop on the data, they would only see jibberish).  This provides some privacy (the administrator will be able to see that you are sending and receiving data to/from the VPN server--they just won't be able to read what any of it says).  A side effect of this type of connection is also that from the internet's perspective, the client computer appears to be in the same location as the server computer, so if the VPN server is in Japan and you connect to it with your computer, internet sites you visit will think your computer is in Japan.

It's a good idea to always use VPN if you're connecting to a network you don't entirely trust (especially free Wi-Fi).  Otherwise others on the network may be able to spy on most of your internet browsing.  If you trust your network, the only real reason to use a VPN is to hide your location and/or identity, something which has little use to most law-abiding honest people.

Thursday, September 22, 2016 3:29 AM
  • @Christopher715

I see you point of most law-abiding honest people wouldn't have a need for a VPN until I seen this new story on the local news channel. Which is why I thought I would look into a VPN. Though the first answer above answered the Question of VPN's.

The none law-abiding people are more than likely not going to ask for help. oh and check out the news story if you don't have a VPN already you might change you mine as well.

http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2016/11/09/i-team-you-may-be-paying-more-than-others-when-shopping-online/

Sunday, November 13, 2016 6:19 AM
  • Best reply ever.. Love it.

How's this appendectomy go again? I've read some things online, but am confused.....

Monday, May 22, 2017 3:40 AM
  • Hello

I just noticed an answer saying you do not understand a VPN. That may be true but then the answer given sounds a little harsh. When the guy replies saying you need to know the IP address at the other end the other end can be a self set up server an arms length away. You can use and PC as a server you just need the correct software and configure it correctly. Which can be very complex and also very simple. A lot of people are using RaspberryPi's as there VPN servers all the software is open source so free. It can feel daunting setting one up well setting anything up can but as you go you can find all the answers on the internet. My advice research and then make a plan of attack and hack on through. At first it seems useless and you will not get anyway but slowly you will pick it up and eventually you will be fine tuning your finished Virtual Private Network and the server/device you have chosen to host it in. All your incoming and outgoing data will go through this device hopefully well encrypted and UNDER A DIFFERENT IP address that your usual one as the name suggests It is a Virtual network IE it is not a real IP address tech speaking. It is a lot like using a proxy IP address but with a VPN its a one time deal!! IE when you finally figure it out you will not have to change it every day. I am not 100% sure why this is but that is the great thing about VPN's. To get started I sugest you read up on a simple RaspberryPi set up do not get me wrong setting up a RaspberryPi VPN is just as difficult as any VPN but it is just a good way to get a visual aspect on the concept if you can understand that. Get into CMD commands and learn your way around your PC's insides IE command lines for your OS version of what I will call a CMD shell just look on the net how to open one if your windows user always start with command line COLOR 0A LOL       and then ARP /A      IPCONFIG /ALLCOMPARTMENTS /ALL      NETSTAT /S    /T    /Q    /P  etc ect and go to the open VPN project. And yes TOR is a must to in fact if you can only use the TOR browser nothing else. I know it is hard because it will not like remembering your history and other things maid easy on other browsers can be a pain with TOR but if you get into a good drill or standard operating procedure with TOR the hassle of learning the browser completely will pay dividence in the end!. If you use firefox or anyother browsers at the same time firefox is now a part of the TOR project so protocols that you will not know about will 'fuse together' So ideally just use TOR only have TOR installed as far as browsers go If you are on windows then Edge is ok as they have no affiliations to TOR project so use edge or original IE to access all your personal mail and for anything a little shady use TOR and your Personal VPN when I say shady I mean nothing Illigial understand! TOR will also let you use a proxy (like all browsers do) So It will take a lot of mind power and will but when you get there you can brag and probably make a living of Internet security! as your network will not officially exist and no one can hack what does not exist!!! ey! then you start the hacking white hat of course. Owe one more thing try to run lynix  OS when you can and Check out the TOR project proper don't just download the bundle Get into the Tails OS there is loads of opportunity there! and not just tails Atlantis Torch the whole TOR project offers the keys to the kingdom! 

Friday, May 26, 2017 4:26 AM
  • While your answer came across as very condescending and rude, no it didn't help. If I have a windows built-in <g class="gr_ gr_81 gr-alert gr_spell gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim ContextualSpelling ins-del multiReplace" data-gr-id="81" id="81">vpn</g>, then wouldn't windows provide the server address? If <g class="gr_ gr_168 gr-alert gr_tiny gr_spell gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim ContextualSpelling multiReplace" data-gr-id="168" id="168">i</g> have to acquire my own <g class="gr_ gr_185 gr-alert gr_spell gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim ContextualSpelling ins-del multiReplace" data-gr-id="185" id="185">vpn</g> client server then why would <g class="gr_ gr_274 gr-alert gr_tiny gr_spell gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim ContextualSpelling multiReplace" data-gr-id="274" id="274">i</g> need the <g class="gr_ gr_242 gr-alert gr_spell gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim ContextualSpelling ins-del multiReplace" data-gr-id="242" id="242">built in</g> windows <g class="gr_ gr_267 gr-alert gr_spell gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim ContextualSpelling ins-del multiReplace" data-gr-id="267" id="267">vpn</g>?

Monday, August 27, 2018 8:51 AM
  • Christopher715

Thank you for putting into intelligent words what I've been screaming at my computer for years, usually to forums and other "help" websites. Like, I DON"T KNOW WHAT AN FQDN IS! I saw it referred to as some kind of forest in another thread. Ok that's just weird. I have lists of acronyms used in answers to us regular Joes and the phrases they're supposed to represent, but sometimes context doesn't work, or there are several phrases that describe the same thing. Can we decode Domain, Domain name, DNS, DNS Gateway, DNS Client, DNS suffix, server, DNS server, ip server, client, web server, host, host server, IP, IPS, internet server, preferred dns, subnet mask, internal ip, external ip, router ip, router, modem, command line and command prompt, oh and what the heck is ISS or IIS or IISS and is it good or bad? What is a tunnel? Is it good or bad? VPN-good or bad? Depends on who your talking to! Apparently that's how my tech savvy neighbor is using my bandwidth. Not only with a VPN, but using my computer as a long distance bluetooth device, using my printer or computer as a gateway, even my dish receiver using it's mac address. Did you know that if you know how you can change a devices mac address so you can connect to it without being detected?  My Tv and receiver won't even connect to the internet anymore. So Thank you thank you thank you to OldApple2Guy for explaining all of that so my family who thinks this is all in my head can see that other people know what I'm talking about (however badly). 

Now, what is the difference between pnp, PnP pnrp?

All of this is just in good fun. My questions are rhetorical, to make a point very clear and to let anyone who feels this way, too, know that they are not alone. It's kind of like why the bible was read in Latin. We're not SUPPOSED to know what it means. So please don't send me to another thread or link. This is a reply and a thank you to Christopher715 of the medical field (you must be pretty smart) for putting into words what I could not. At least before.

You had to get me started didn't you :D :D

Why is there @ before the names of people being replied to? Doesn't that still mean "at". Here "to" seems more appropriate. 

cb51629190

Tuesday, August 28, 2018 6:18 PM