MOSS2007 on EC2 or Azure? RRS feed

• Question

• Can  MOSS2007 be placed on Windows Server 2008 on platforms like Window's Azure and Amazon's EC2, in full form without relying on Sharepoint Online's lesser functionality?

• Edited by Mike Walsh FIN Wednesday, June 8, 2011 6:31 AM Text heavily edited to remove any mention of SP 2010 and to retain only the purely MOSS 2007 part. There are SP 2010 forums for questions involving that.
    Wednesday, June 8, 2011 2:59 AM

All replies

• If you can install Windows Server 2008 into a VM in a cloud service, such as Amazon EC2 or Azure's VM role, you can install SharePoint on it if the CPU and RAM configurations meet SharePoint's minimum requirements. The thing to remember is that you'll have to keep an eye on your storage, because SharePoint's can't use a cloud storage solution such as Amazon or Azure's offerings without an additional third party tool to map that storage in a format that SharePoint can consume. Also, don't forget that these offerings need to be preserved carefully if you ever decide to shut them down, they don't preserve state if stopped so you'd have to make sure to save them in some way or be prepared to recreate your VM if you ever turn it off. John
    MCITP and MCTS: SharePoint, Virtualization, Project Server 2007
    My books on Amazon: The SharePoint 2010 Disaster Recovery Guide and The SharePoint 2007 Disaster Recovery Guide.
    My blog: My Central Admin.
    • Proposed as answer by SivaMit Wednesday, September 7, 2011 7:36 AM
    Thursday, August 25, 2011 8:03 PM