none
Resource deactivation and AD authentication. RRS feed

• Question

• Dear All

We have a small problem that I hope you can help me with.  We have an on premesis installation of MS Project 2013 which is working very nicely, but we have a bit of an issue with resources.

When we promote an employee we deactivate the existing account and create them a new one.  The new account has different cost rates and custom data.

While we could update the existing account with new cost rates, the custom data cannot be changed as it would then change any historical data held on plans.

In our old 2007 system we simply changed their authentication type to Forms and gave them a new username.  Which left us free to create their new user account with their windows domain account.  We don't seem to have that option in 2013.

If anyone has any ideas on getting around this I'd very much appreciate some advice.

Many thanks

John.

Monday, November 24, 2014 1:08 PM

All replies

• John --

Well, you now know that the process you used previously in Project Server 2007 is not going to work for you in Project Server 2013.  What I would do instead is to use Cost Rate Table B, C, D, or E to reflect the new cost rate for the promoted resource. When your PMs assign this resource to tasks in the future, they will need to display the Task Usage view, insert the Cost Rate Table column, and select the Cost Rate Table containing the new cost rate for the resource.  This will not happen automatically, so it will be important that you teach them how to do this.  Just a thought.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Monday, November 24, 2014 1:44 PM
  • John --

Well, you now know that the process you used previously in Project Server 2007 is not going to work for you in Project Server 2013.  What I would do instead is to use Cost Rate Table B, C, D, or E to reflect the new cost rate for the promoted resource. When your PMs assign this resource to tasks in the future, they will need to display the Task Usage view, insert the Cost Rate Table column, and select the Cost Rate Table containing the new cost rate for the resource.  This will not happen automatically, so it will be important that you teach them how to do this.  Just a thought.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Hi Dale

Sadly the cost rates I can deal with, just adding in the new rates from the date of promotion will take care of that, and preserve historical data.

It's the other information that I have problesm with.  For example the newly promoted resource may have moved department.  If we update their department to a new department then all hitorical information will show as the wrong department for that resource.

I hope that makes some sort of sense.

John

Monday, November 24, 2014 2:06 PM
  • John --

I am afraid that I do not know of any way to work around the department issue.  Sorry.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Monday, November 24, 2014 6:19 PM
  • You may be able to fake it out, but creating a second domain with it's own AD that is trusted by project server.  Project can create profiles from different AD domains.  

Another possibility is to create another claims mode authentication model, similar to the forms authentication and you could possibly replace the login account like you did in the past.   SharePoint allows for multiple claims authentication but that is going require a good SharePoint engineer to put that together.

PS.  The above is theory and I have never done it this way, but from what I understand of SharePoint, it would work.

Michael Wharton, MVP, MBA, PMP, MCT, MCTS, MCSD, MCSE+I, MCDBA
    Website http://www.WhartonComputer.com
    Blog http://MyProjectExpert.com contains my field notes and SQL queries

Tuesday, November 25, 2014 3:23 AM
  • John --

I am afraid that I do not know of any way to work around the department issue.  Sorry.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

No problem Dale, thanks for the suggestion
    Thursday, November 27, 2014 9:00 AM
  • Thanks Michael, I'll have a look into that.

I've toyed with adding in the forms authentication option in my dev area.  I think I'll pursue that a little more.

John

Thursday, November 27, 2014 9:01 AM