none
Unable to connect to VM from Windows 2016 HyperV host, but able to connect elsewhere

Question

• Greetings, I set up a Windows 2016 Standard Hyper V server in order to create a small test network.  The server has 2 nics, one set up for HyperV.  Generally the setup looks good.  I created several VMs and have a Windows 7 box that has no problem connecting to the host server or any of the VMs.  However, I cannot connect  to the same VMs using the host server's remote desktop, only the internal HyperV connect utility.  I can ping the VM from the host (but not the other way around), but RDP (only on the host) cannot connect.

I used more or less default installations and enabled remote connections and got external connections to work but can't figure out why I can't connect from the host itself.  Any ideas?  TIA.

Kevin McCarty

Sunday, April 02, 2017 11:17 PM

All replies

• You didn't mention the other host NIC, is there a vSwitch using it? If so I'd check that only one vSwitch is shared with host OS and check the gateways on vEthernets for host and guests are correct. Also try RDP by ip address to rule out name resolution issues.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Sunday, April 02, 2017 11:22 PM
  • Hi Sir,

>>I can ping the VM from the host

Please check if you can telnet the RDP port 3389 from hyper-v host .

I would also suggest you check if there is any extended ACL with following command:

Get-VMNetworkAdapterExtendedAcl

In addition , please create an internal virtual switch then connect that vm to internal virtual switch .

Then configure IP address for both VM and host NIC (the NIC has same Name of Vswitch in "network and sharing center" of host ) .

Try to ping and RDP again .

Best Regards,

Elton

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, April 04, 2017 7:35 AM