none
Optimizing Windows user profiles for VDI environments

Question

• Hi guys,

my scenario is this:

my clients use Windows 7 machines on a pooled VDI environment.

We didn't use the vhdx attachments but folder redirection to keep the profiles info after logon and between desktops.

the profiles are located on a NetApp storage.

we have many performance issues on the NetApp and therefore, problems of performance in the desktops and then... we have unsatisfied users.

we noticed that most of the I\Os arrive from the redirected %APPDATA% and even though the storage should handle this amount - it kill everything. the NetApp hangs, and when machines can't find the %APPDATA% users just freeze.

we saw that the problems are coming mainly from Microsoft. meaning most of the mess caused by MS products and Windows products.

We have an explosion of the Recent folder, the Cookies folder, Office Templates and building blocks... they are the killers

now I know I can't live without them but we ask our selves how can we overcome this issue besides "Buy a more reliable storage"

are there any special settings for these specific locations in terms of VDI?

I mean, if it's a local machine then everything's local anyway and I don't care

but in this case - it doesn't make any sense that users have more than 1,000 recent files or Cookies and they will just stay there forever. are there any optimizations i can make in GPO for these scenarios?

thanks

Tamir Levy

Thursday, July 30, 2015 4:27 PM

All replies

• Hi Tamir,

>>we noticed that most of the I\Os arrive from the redirected %APPDATA% and even though the storage should handle this amount - it kill everything. the NetApp hangs, and when machines can't find the %APPDATA% users just freeze.

Based on the description, in my opinion, we can try to mitigate this situation in two directions: we may choose to invest more money to improve the capability of our hardware, or we may need to choose to redirect the folder back to user's local profile.

Best regards,

Frank Shen

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, July 31, 2015 9:06 AM
  • well... there's your options , there's reality, and there's what Microsoft claims to be supported.

everything that is 3rd party, I know there are tones of issues with VDI support or folder redirection support but 

my feeling is that there are parts in the OS and in Office don't compatible with the combination of pooled VDI + folder redirection.

and I mentioned some examples such as the recent folder and the cookies folder that have huge amount of files, unlike local profiles that seems to have a kind of a FIFO.

so again, my question is for other organizations with the same infrastructure, doesn't matter the storage's size or performance,  were there any special group policies regarding profiles of Windows + Office?

thanks

Tamir Levy

Tuesday, August 04, 2015 7:09 PM
  • Hi Tamir,

My first thought was to run disk cleanup. However users need to interact in the first place to run a cleanup regularly.

Run this command line:

cleanmgr /sageset:1

It will pop-up the disk cleanup options. Choose the options you need to clear. 

These settings will be stored. Next time we can run cleanmgr /sagerun:1 to run the task we just set. You can also setup a schedule to run cleanmgr /sagerun:1 to run it regularly. 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, August 10, 2015 11:28 AM