none
Memory Drain? RRS feed

• Question

•    IE is CLOSED..should explorer.exe be using 20,472K ??? I also got an AVG Advisor pop up during a routine scan that Internet Explorer was using a high level of memory (166mB) and advice to restart it...I wasn't even using Internet Explorer...I have both 32 bit and 64 bit versions of Internet Explorer version 9.08112 installed,but rarely use them..I use firefox and Windows 7 home premium 64 bit version...Should Explorer.exe process be running /using memory even tho I'm not using Internet Explorer and should I highlight it and hit the "End Process" button?? Thanks

PS: did sfc scannow (with admin.priv.) and it showed no problems...I right clicked on explorer.exe and hit "go to services" and none of the services were hi-lighted..

pharmerbill

• Edited by pharmerbill Thursday, February 12, 2015 7:02 PM more info
    Thursday, February 12, 2015 4:18 AM

Answers

• Hi,

I have to tell you, explorer.exe process point to Windows Explorer instead of Internet Explorer.

Internet Explorer's process is iexplorer.exe.

Karen Hu
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by pharmerbill Friday, February 13, 2015 3:53 AM
    Friday, February 13, 2015 3:21 AM

All replies

• Hi,

is you AVG up to date? You did not mention your IE and windows versions.

try

Tools>Internet Options>Advanced tab, uncheck "Enable third party browser extensions"... close all open IE windows for the full changes to take affect.

Regards.

Rob^_^

Thursday, February 12, 2015 10:44 PM
  • THANKS FOR REPLYING....32 bit and 64 bit versions of Internet Explorer version 9.08112...Windows 7 home premium...Newest version of AVG free version..just downloaded the AVG Free Edition 2015.0.5646..Did what you said to do:) Tools>Internet Options>Advanced tab, uncheck "Enable third party browser extensions"..only the 64 bit version had this check marked...Don't have any IE browser windows open..almost never do,since I use Firefox exclusively unless my wife accidentally uses IE..Just checked task manager and this is what it shows...no IE open at all!!!  This is a screen shot of task manager currently...all IE closed and unchecked as you recommended above...Don't understand why explorer.exe is active when Internet Explorers are closed

pharmerbill

Friday, February 13, 2015 1:26 AM
  • Hi,

I have to tell you, explorer.exe process point to Windows Explorer instead of Internet Explorer.

Internet Explorer's process is iexplorer.exe.

Karen Hu
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by pharmerbill Friday, February 13, 2015 3:53 AM
    Friday, February 13, 2015 3:21 AM
  • THANKYOU VERY MUCH...I'm a newby and hadn't noticed the association...even though it's there in the last column...I really didn't know Windows Explorer existed...Have done some research and am not going to worry about the memory usage...I thought Internet Explorer that I don't even use was using memory due to some malicious virus or something. LOL

pharmerbill

Friday, February 13, 2015 3:52 AM
  • Questions regarding Internet Explorer 8, 9 and 10 and Internet Explorer 11 for the IT Pro Audience. Topics covered are: Installation, Deployment, Configuration, Security, Group Policy, Management questions. If you are a consumer looking for answers or to raise a question, it's highly recommended you head on over to http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us

Rob^_^

Saturday, February 14, 2015 12:08 AM