removing Microsoft Edge RRS feed

• Question

• It is very interesting that this has been asked but so far no one has answered the question.  We all want Microsoft Edge removed from usage on our computers.  I understand this is your go to program but we are not robots we are humans and enjoy using our minds for what matters to us.  Obviously Mircosoft Edge does not meet this criteria for many of us.  Please consider this and solve the problem.

Thanks

Thursday, December 21, 2017 10:11 AM

Answers

• Hi teach26,

The Microsoft Edge browser is an embedded program or application on the Windows operating system. Meaning, this can't be removed automatically and uninstalling it is quite a process. However, if you really opt to uninstall or remove the program, then follow these steps:

1. Press the Window icon + X on the keyboard, then click Windows PowerShell (Admin).
    2. Once you have the PowerShell tab opened, type this command line:

Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_20.10240.16384.0_neutral__8wekyb3d8bbwe | Remove-AppxPackage
    3. After that, press Enter, then wait until the process is completed.

Hope it will be helpful to you

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, December 22, 2017 10:56 AM

All replies

• Hi teach26.

As far as I know, Microsoft Edge cannot be removed from a Windows 10 computer.
    Anyway, you could take a look at the following links

https://superuser.com/questions/949814/how-to-disable-or-uninstall-microsoft-edge-in-windows-10
    https://www.drivereasy.com/knowledge/how-to-remove-microsoft-edge-from-windows-10-solved/
    http://news.softpedia.com/news/how-to-remove-microsoft-edge-from-windows-10-491534.shtmlto find some suggestions about disabling Microsoft Edge.
    Remember that those information do not come from Microsoft, therefore you're the only responsible in case of any issue caused to your system if you decide to take the actions described in those links.

Bye.

Luigi Bruno
    MCP, MCTS, MOS, MTA

Thursday, December 21, 2017 12:11 PM
  • Hi teach26,

The Microsoft Edge browser is an embedded program or application on the Windows operating system. Meaning, this can't be removed automatically and uninstalling it is quite a process. However, if you really opt to uninstall or remove the program, then follow these steps:

1. Press the Window icon + X on the keyboard, then click Windows PowerShell (Admin).
    2. Once you have the PowerShell tab opened, type this command line:

Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_20.10240.16384.0_neutral__8wekyb3d8bbwe | Remove-AppxPackage
    3. After that, press Enter, then wait until the process is completed.

Hope it will be helpful to you

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, December 22, 2017 10:56 AM
  • "We all want" 'teach26'

That includes me & everyone using Win10... unlike some, I won't speak for all of them, but, I, for one, AM NOT part of your 'ALL' and don't appreciate being misplaced into such a group. One is perfectly able to use whatever browser they fancy  If that is not Edge, there is no need to remove it.  It's a no harm, no foul scenario, a non-issue.  Simply ignore Edge & use whatever else.  There is no impact, whilst doing so, that Edge is not removed.  (If you notice, Edge is not on the installed software list OR "removing it" is basically a moot concern.

Oh, and along w/ using some other browser, you would have, of course, set said browser to be the Default Browser. Again, making "removing Edge" a moot point. (1) there is no need & (2) Remove what & how? It's not on the drive nor is it a problem

Cheers,
    Drew

Drew - IT Pro / MS Partner/Partner Company / Windows Insider / Owner - Computer Issues

• Edited by Drew1903 Saturday, December 23, 2017 7:18 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Drew1903 Saturday, December 23, 2017 7:18 AM
    Saturday, December 23, 2017 7:09 AM
  • " It's a no harm, no foul scenario, a non-issue.  Simply ignore Edge & use whatever else.  There is no impact, whilst doing so, that Edge is not removed. "

While yes the subject does not speak for everybody, there then begs the question for those of us who migrated from hardened windows 7 systems to windows 10 due to hardware incompatibility: why are these libraries, modules, and applications that can be used to exploit a system, and have been proven to do so in the wild non-removable?

You are sorely mistaken if you think that leaving a web browser or any other internet enabled application is a non issue. Quite frankly the temptation to move to a red hat install because I cannot appropriately secure my equipment with windows 10 due to oversights by the development team grows with every update that they force out.

Thursday, March 8, 2018 8:26 PM
  • OMG (sigh)

Drew - IT Pro / MS Partner/Partner Company / Windows Insider / Owner - Computer Issues

Thursday, March 8, 2018 11:22 PM
  • On the computer that I am using today Microsoft Edge cannot be launched using the start menu. 

Microsoft Edge is no longer in the start menu.  Entering Edge into search no longer displays best match Microsoft Edge Microsoft recommended browser.  Edge was once attached to the task bar and has disappeared.

scannow and restorhealth displayed no integrity violations.

Microsoft Edge was still the default browser and can be opened indirectly using other software.

So there appears to be a method to prevent the usage of Microsoft Edge.  For example if another browser was the default browser none of the other software would be able to launch Edge.  And Edge is no longer accessible via the start menu.  All of this was not purposeful.  Somehow the Edge browser disappeared.

Soon I plan to perform a clean install on this computer.  So this finding will soon disappear.  If there are any settings to view that can be done before the clean install.

Friday, March 9, 2018 4:22 AM
  • this didn't work.  I get the following message :

Get-Process : A positional parameter cannot be found that accepts argument 'Get-AppxPackage'.
    At line:1 char:1
    + PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> Get-AppxPackage MicrosoftEdge_20.10240.16384. ...
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        + CategoryInfo          : InvalidArgument: (:) [Get-Process], ParameterBindingException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : PositionalParameterNotFound,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.GetP
       rocessCommand

Thursday, March 22, 2018 3:24 PM
  • Edge can be removed although Microsoft's developers have made it difficult.

Instead of trying to explain the process of editing the StateRepository-Machine,srd file in detail here I suggest others who would like to remove edge (because it sucks and is useless) see this page.

http://alexappleton.net/post/159702702033/windows-10-pro-remove-wireless-display-media

The blog is about removing the miracast viewer but the process to remove it can be used to remove all the built in Windows apps if you wanted to. I personally have removed Edge, the Holographic Viewer/First Run, People, Messaging, Xbox, Get Help, Connect and others with out problems. Just be sure you don't delete the entries from the manifest file or it will corrupt the file and break the ability to run the get-appxpackage command.

Follow the guide and you'll be fine.

Good Luck.

Sunday, April 1, 2018 8:30 AM
  • I am not from ALL
    Sunday, April 1, 2018 8:50 AM
  • Microsoft has revealed today that "we will begin testing a change where links clicked on within the Windows Mail app will open in Microsoft Edge." What this means is that if you have Chrome or Firefox set as your default browser in Windows 10, Microsoft will simply ignore that and force you into Edge when you click a link within the Mail app. The Verge reports:

It's not like MS has not had serious problems forcing a browser in the past, they just never give up!

I have the exact same problem????? Way to go MS!

Sunday, April 8, 2018 10:39 PM
  • Officially there is no way to uninstall Edge browser from Windows 10, but you can do so by using the third-party script. Following in the blog post where you can find step by step instructions on how to do that:

https://winranx.com/uninstall-microsoft-edge-windows-10/

• Edited by Viney Dhiman Tuesday, April 24, 2018 5:39 AM Forget to add link
    Tuesday, April 24, 2018 5:37 AM
  • Actually there is a very good reason to uninstall it.  If you are using something like Norton Family to control what your children are doing on the computer, then Edge is the easiest way for your children to around it.  Because Edge does not allow Norton to have a plug in to control what is going on, using it bypasses a parent's ability to have control.  Uninstalling it seems to be the best way around this problem.
    Tuesday, May 15, 2018 3:30 PM
  • Here is a far better way...

Get rid of Norton & use the Parental Controls (already) embedded in the OS.  Plus, bonus, then, Windows Security & Defender, again native to your OS, can do its designed job.  Kids will be safe, machine will be protected & everything will play nicely (& happily) together.

Edge is the best browser.

Win10 & its own tools the best, also.

Cheers,
    Drew

Wednesday, May 16, 2018 1:35 AM