Intermittent Mouse Freezing on 64-bit Windows 7 RRS feed

• Question

• I have an Asus P6X58D MB, six gigs of high end RAM, an X980 CPU, and an ATI Radeon 5970 graphics card. The mouse I use is a Microsoft Laser 6000. The system worked find for several months, then my mouse started freezing up, sometimes for a few of seconds and at others a total freeze. These take place constantly, but with various degrees of frequency. I am aware of no software installation or other issue that might have had this impact. In an effort to discove the cause I've done the following:
    1. Swapped out the Microsoft mouse for a Razer Copperhead - same problem
    2. A clean boot with all startup options disabled - same problem
    3. Installed latest mouse software from Microsoft and Razer - same problem
    4. Set all USB devices (Hubs) for no sleep - same problem
    5. Did an inplace reinstallation of the operating system - same problem
    6. Removed the ATI video software.
    7. Deleted Asus update software (the only tool installed) - same problem
    8. Checked the registry for possible fix on HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{36FC9E60-C465-11CF-8056-444553540000} - not applicable - same problem
     9. Read online posts on the subject and implemented all I could find - same problem
    Hope someone has a better idea as this ongoing problem is making it difficult for me to work.
    ed@prisonart.org

Thursday, January 27, 2011 8:23 PM

Answers

• Does the keyboard response when the issue occurs? We need to confirm whether the whole system freezes or only the cursor freezes.

I suggest you download the BIOS and latest drivers for motherboard from ASUS website and install them.

ASUS Download> Motherboard> P6X58D Premium
    http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us

Important Note: Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.

If the issue persists, reload USB controllers and see if it can resolve the issue.

Use the Mouse
    =============
    First, please disconnect all USB devices and then perform the following steps:

1. Click "Start", type in Device Manager the Search bar and press "Enter". Click Continue if necessary.
    2. In Device Manager, double click to expand "Universal Serial Bus controllers", right click on the "Host Controller", click "Uninstall" and click "OK".
    3. Repeat the step 2 to uninstall all items under "Universal Serial Bus controllers".

Then, restart your computer and Windows Vista will reinstall all USB controllers automatically.

Use the Keyboard
    =============
    First, please disconnect all USB devices. Then, go through the following steps:

1. Press "Ctrl + Esc" to open the Start Menu.
    2. Type Device Manager in the Search bar and press "Enter". Click Continue if necessary.
    3. In Device Manger, press Tab and use "Up" and "Down" to move the highlight to "Universal Serial Bus Controllers".
    4. Press "Right" and expand it.
    5. Press "Down" to move to the first item and press "Delete" to remove it.
    6. Repeat the step 5 and uninstall all items under "Universal Serial Bus Controllers".

Then, restart your computer.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Marked as answer by Leo Huang Tuesday, February 8, 2011 7:24 AM
    Friday, January 28, 2011 6:42 AM

All replies

• Does the keyboard response when the issue occurs? We need to confirm whether the whole system freezes or only the cursor freezes.

I suggest you download the BIOS and latest drivers for motherboard from ASUS website and install them.

ASUS Download> Motherboard> P6X58D Premium
    http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us

Important Note: Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.

If the issue persists, reload USB controllers and see if it can resolve the issue.

Use the Mouse
    =============
    First, please disconnect all USB devices and then perform the following steps:

1. Click "Start", type in Device Manager the Search bar and press "Enter". Click Continue if necessary.
    2. In Device Manager, double click to expand "Universal Serial Bus controllers", right click on the "Host Controller", click "Uninstall" and click "OK".
    3. Repeat the step 2 to uninstall all items under "Universal Serial Bus controllers".

Then, restart your computer and Windows Vista will reinstall all USB controllers automatically.

Use the Keyboard
    =============
    First, please disconnect all USB devices. Then, go through the following steps:

1. Press "Ctrl + Esc" to open the Start Menu.
    2. Type Device Manager in the Search bar and press "Enter". Click Continue if necessary.
    3. In Device Manger, press Tab and use "Up" and "Down" to move the highlight to "Universal Serial Bus Controllers".
    4. Press "Right" and expand it.
    5. Press "Down" to move to the first item and press "Delete" to remove it.
    6. Repeat the step 5 and uninstall all items under "Universal Serial Bus Controllers".

Then, restart your computer.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Marked as answer by Leo Huang Tuesday, February 8, 2011 7:24 AM
    Friday, January 28, 2011 6:42 AM
  • I have been having stuttering usb mouse problems for two years.   I was very frustrated at the lack of technical solutions that truly address this situation.  Then I read somewhere that an optical mouse needed to be kept clean, feet and sensor.  I took a cotton swab and dusted the red sensor light on the mouse.  It seemed to work, and the stuttering disappeared.  I even have my mouse on a usb hub.  I waited a few days to make sure of this before posting this, and my mouse is fine. 
    Thursday, February 2, 2012 12:22 PM
  • Despite this simple but obvious solution, the problem persists with my sistem.

I notice that in combination with the intermitting, my USB ports loose their contact, the one after the other. I have 4 of them on my Medion Akoya. (2 proc., 4Gb mem).

When I plug in for the next port, it stays fine for about 15 min. and than I have to repeat the whole procedure. Untill all ports are gene and I have to reboot and start all over again.

I installed the mouse driver from Dell, turned off the power save mode for usb and have updated the drivers.

Still problems.

I also noticed that my touchpad drivers somtimes get lost out of nothing (or is it Spybot SD?) and when I have the basic synaptics driver left, without the Touchpad options, the intermitting seems to be gone!

So that may be an issue?

I am also suspicious about the Intel processors threading capacity, that also seem to me a trouble.

All together, it is a shame that Microsoft is not able to solve this problem. It is f

or years on the fora now and will be here forever I'm afraid.

I paid a lot of money for this OS, but it failed on me 3 times and a lot of minor issues with it.

Shame!

Tuesday, August 27, 2013 9:20 AM