Simple questions with no answers in sight RRS feed

• Question

• I'm new to SteadyState, and I have taken the time to mess with it, read the help file, and this forum, but I'm missing answers to my most basic questions.  May it's because of how I want to use SteadyState or maybe I'm just daft. Smile

My use centers around a means to test new software.  Typically I use virtual machines for this, but some software I need to install on my base system - using a virtual machine just won't work.  Therefore I'm only interested in the disk protection tools.

My first question is: my computer has my user account (admin level) and what I assume is the default (hidden?) Administrator account, but when logging into Windows I'm not prompted with the Welcome screen to pick which account I want to log in with.  However, after using SteadyState and it's disk protection tools I am.  I do realize I can disable this by with a setting, but why is SteadyState making the welcome screen appear when it's just my admin level and the default administrator accounts?

Second question:  The "Configuring Computer Restrictions" area confuses me.  These settings are applied to the host regardless of the user profiles created in SteadyState...am I correct?  This must mean then that SteadyState is running at all times once Windows is loaded; that there is no way to turn it "off".  That is a little disappointing, if the case, because I'm very fanatical about what processes I have running on my computer at all times.

As a side question, the option under "Configuring Compuer Restrictions" to prevent users from creating files/folders on C:\ appears to do nothing.  With it checked, I am still able to create files/folders.  Why?

Third question:  When I turn on the disk protection tool it automatically turns on the Software update feature - even if I have explicitly turned it off.  Upon turning off the disk protection tool it turns the Software update feature on.  I do not want to use SteadyState to handle my updates...how can I disable this automatic triggering of the updating feature?

Thank you for the time & help.

Sunday, October 19, 2008 5:31 PM

Answers

•  

Hi Hakeemshabazz, I'm sorry that I have not clarify myself clearly. For this version of Windows SteadyState, the option for "Welcome screen" is enabled by default.

Yes, it is always running. We do not have a button or option to temporarily turn it off like any antivirus program.

Regarding the third one, did you turn off Schedule Software Updates before enabling WDP?

Friday, October 24, 2008 3:59 AM

All replies

•  

Hi hakeemshabazz, for the first question, do you mean you want to disable Welcome Screen? You can disable it via Set Computer Restrictions – Turn on the Welcome screen.

For the second question, yes, restrictions on "Configuring Computer Restrictions" applies on the computer and on all users. By configuring computer restrictions, you can apply settings and restrictions at the system level that will enhance the privacy and security of all shared users who use the computer.

Prevent users from creating folders and files in drive C:\—Selecting this option changes the access control list (ACL) in the root of the system drive to prevent users from creating files and folders. Based on my test, this option only applies on non-administrator shared users. This can be by design to avoid potential disk access issues on administrator users after applying this option.  

We recommend our users to turn on update option to ensure the security especially when Windows Disk Protection is turned on. You can also manually disable this option by Schedule Software Updates – Do not use Windows SteadyState to download and install updates.
    Tuesday, October 21, 2008 6:32 AM
  • I don't mean to be harsh, because I appreciate the time you took to respond, but none of my questions were really answered.

For my first question, I know I can disable the Welcome Screen in "Set Computer Restrictions", but why is the Welcome Screen even being shown after installing SteadyState - when it isn't without SteadyState installed?

2nd question: is SteadyState always running?  Is there no way to turn it off?

3rd question: I understand Microsoft wanting updates to be turned on, but why is my setting always reset after turning on/off Windows Disk Protection?  My disable setting does not stay, it always reverts back to having SteadyState handle my updates.
    Tuesday, October 21, 2008 4:33 PM
  •  

Hi Hakeemshabazz, I'm sorry that I have not clarify myself clearly. For this version of Windows SteadyState, the option for "Welcome screen" is enabled by default.

Yes, it is always running. We do not have a button or option to temporarily turn it off like any antivirus program.

Regarding the third one, did you turn off Schedule Software Updates before enabling WDP?

Friday, October 24, 2008 3:59 AM